Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps crashing on my Samsung S9+ Secure Folder whenever I take a screenshot

(Topic created on: 28-03-2021 02:06 PM)
olu90
Student
Options

Hello,

I recently updated my S9+ on the 14th March 2021 (g965fxxsffub3) and I noticed that whenever I take a screenshot on my phone and try sharing it via any app (WhatsApp, Instagram) in my secure folder, the App crashes and stops working. I get error messages such as "WhatsApp keeps stopping" or "Instagram keeps stopping".

I have cleared the cache for these Apps whenever this happens but it doesn't solve the issue.

The Apps in my secure folder only get to work after I must have restarted the phone.

N.B: This issue doesn't happen to the other Apps(WhatsApp & Instagram) I have outside the secure folder. Reason I know it is a secure folder problem.

I will appreciate if anyone can help as it frustrating having to restart my phone every time I take a screenshot just to use an App in my Secure folder.

Thanks

72 REPLIES 72
AndrewL
Options

@Anonymous User: Sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue. Next time the issue occurs, please can you send an Error Report via the Samsung Members app, as this will be helpful in pinpointing the issue. To proceed, press and hold on the Members app icon > Error Reports > Tap OK to agree to send system log data > Select the symptom category, describe the issue and hit 'Send'. I understand that this isn't ideal, and apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you. 

0 Likes
PauloLX
Journeyman
Options

I tried a factory reset and the problem persists. 

PauloLX
Journeyman
Options

Same issue here. Not even a factory reset solved the problem. In my case,  Whatsapp, Instagram. TikiTok, Facebook, Messenger and Hangouts are the apps that keep crashing. It is terribly frustrating.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

@AndrewL 

Thanks for the input, I did that. What is supposed to happen afterwards?

@PauloLX

I was also thinking about making a factory reset, like one for the last time. However, reading your comment that this still persists after factory reset kind of frustrates me.

Just to make sure:

Your issue is also regarding screenshot & apps inside secure folder crashing? This is not about the Android Webview bug right?

0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

Thanks for the input, I did that. What is supposed to happen afterwards?

0 Likes
bonkmaykrQ
Journeyman
Options

Having this same problem with both SwiftKey and Samsung Keyboard. I would like to add that switching keyboards seems to also fix the issue temporarily just like restarting did. I did reproduce the problem. Screenshot while typing, app crashes. Try to type again, app keeps crashing. Currently the only apps that this works on are Firefox and Discord. Both of them are in Secure Folder.

bonkmaykrQ
Journeyman
Options

I dug into it a little deeper and found out how to solve the issue, at least until it's patched.

You need to disable Smart Capture

Settings > Advanced Features > Screenshots and Screen Record > Screenshot Toolbar and turn it off

olu90
Student
Options
Thanks for the solution. I just tried this and it worked.
I feel so relieved right now.
I'll keep monitoring it for a while though.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

Thanks for the tip.

Disabling the screenshot toolbar alone did not solve the issue for me, however I also have to switch the screenshot format from PNG to JPG. Both changes seem to work as a workaround for me.

So these are the changes I made in the Settings > Advanced Features > Screenshots and Screen Record menu:

• Disable Screenshot toolbar
  • Change Screenshot format from PNG to JPG

I tried it multiple times now. If I switch back to PNG and try again, the apps crash. After restart, I switch to JPG and try again, apps don't crash.

PauloLX
Journeyman
Options

Yes, my problem is with several apps in the secure folder, such as facebook, instagram, tiktok or whatsapp. They open and work fine for a bit, and then if I try to reply to a message, for example, they start crashing until I reboot the phone. 

0 Likes