Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 10 update kills Daydream compatibility

(Topic created on: 01-02-2020 05:03 PM)
GinKage
Apprentice
Options

Just like that, without any notice or warning, Daydream no longer works on my S9+.

The same applies to S9 and Note 9, which used to be perfectly compatible with Daydream, but now all you get is this:

Screenshot_20200201-111142_Daydream.jpg

Note that the scene behind this dialog window is actually perfectly rendered, and the phone itself is using the "low motion-blur" screen mode.

The problem is, in Android 8 and Android 9, these phones have defined a system flag "android.hardware.vr.high_performance", which is no longer defined on Android 10.
This is a Samsung-specific problem, as Pixel phones running Android 10 can still use Daydream perfectly (as reported in this Reddit thread).

Hopefully Samsung will be able to get around to fix this problem in a future system update, as it only requires them to add a single xml file to the system image...

248 REPLIES 248
benjoban
Apprentice
Options
there is a beta update coming Iam hope Samsung has the insight to change the XML file to flag daydream I am not a fan of Facebook and do not want to use oculus as I have no Facebook account
0 Likes
benjoban
Apprentice
Options
I bought a new note 20 without knowing this I've always had a note Iam feel really let down Samsung vr canceled as well only Facebook left makes me so angry
0 Likes
ashishcdev
First Poster
Options

Why Samsung?? This looks very stupid to you. You can at least break the silence on this topic. I can fix this issue for free if it takes much. I just don't want to root my device. 

0 Likes
Members_KX2UMmX
First Poster
Options

Please fix this Samsung! I bought just for this feature a new galaxy s9, because it was listed as compatible device. Unfortunality as it was updated on android 10 and I couldn't use Daydream anymore. Very dissapointing!

0 Likes
Options

Да! Да! Аналогичная ситуация! Почините пожалуйста Daydream для 

0 Likes
RobertMa
Apprentice
Options

By when will the fix of this bug are done? I bougt my s9+ exactly to use daydream and me and my kids had a lot of fun until android 10 update. So no statement from Samsung? This is realy nightmare! Thats tje last time I bought a samsung phone. Byby samsung

0 Likes
yandu
Apprentice
Options

Google has killed daydream, This is probably not something that Samsung can or will fix anymore https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Daydream

0 Likes
Robinl
Pioneer
Options

Yes there is something they can do. We provided the solution a while ago. It's a simple line to add to the build.prop file before building the ROM. It takes 5 secondes to add, it doesn't imply any responsibility of Samsung with regards to google support of this feature, and it would solve the issue. Please read the thread in full to understand.

Yet Samsung refused to do so and never explained why. 

0 Likes
Je655
Helping Hand
Options

According to reports, Samsung phones running Android 10 with One UI 2.0 are now incompatible with the Daydream platform. Before the Android 10 update arrived, those phones were working fine with Daydream VR headsets. If you are one of those who has a Daydream-compatible VR headset and if you want to continue using the functionality on Samsung phones, you should not upgrade your device to Android 10.

In comparison, Google’s phones running Android 10 continue to work with the Daydream virtual reality platform. It means that something is broken on Samsung phones, and the company could fix it with a software update if it wants to. However, since the VR platform is now dead and has a limited set of users, we think Samsung would not pay much heed to release an update to fix the problem.

Daydream was advertised to work with my s9 and I would like to update my software. But if I do it will break this app.

0 Likes