Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 10 update kills Daydream compatibility

(Topic created on: 12-05-2020 06:26 PM)
GinKage
Apprentice
Options

Just like that, without any notice or warning, Daydream no longer works on my S9+.

The same applies to S9 and Note 9, which used to be perfectly compatible with Daydream, but now all you get is this:

Screenshot_20200201-111142_Daydream.jpg

Note that the scene behind this dialog window is actually perfectly rendered, and the phone itself is using the "low motion-blur" screen mode.

The problem is, in Android 8 and Android 9, these phones have defined a system flag "android.hardware.vr.high_performance", which is no longer defined on Android 10.
This is a Samsung-specific problem, as Pixel phones running Android 10 can still use Daydream perfectly (as reported in this Reddit thread).

Hopefully Samsung will be able to get around to fix this problem in a future system update, as it only requires them to add a single xml file to the system image...

248 REPLIES 248
ComplianceDev
Explorer
Options

That is a given. Google wants the market share and I plan on giving it my piece over this. Like the other gentleman said, I have devices that are no longer supported, but they still do what they promised to do (and like a champ).

0 Likes
ComplianceDev
Explorer
Options
Sign the petition
http://chng.it/WQnjVKHvVv

Class action lawsuit, anyone?
JerryR
Explorer
Options

GearVR will be the next thing gone. Samsung has already announced that they're pulling their VR apps from the Galaxy Store in September. I don't know why they need to remove the apps. Why not just leave them working for the people who still have the hardware? Terrible policy.

Because of this I suspect we'll never hear about Daydream getting fixed again. They'll probably close this thread quietly the way they did for all the US complaint threads.

Apple is supposed to be coming out with AR/VR soon. No doubt Samsung will be back to copy it, but I'm not falling for it again. I'll sooner by an iPhone than another Galaxy phone after this. 

0 Likes
ComplianceDev
Explorer
Options

Everyone post daily on this thread if you really care about this and has more than empty words.

Sign the petition

0 Likes
Caden
Apprentice
Options

When Microsoft discontinued support their products,  consumers don't get update but they still continue to use it for a long time.   I expect Samsung would do the same thing.   Everyone of us had spent some money to buy app for the vr.  They are all gone now.   Samsung makes me not happy, so I won't buy a new Samsung phone, TV, or tablet in the future. 

0 Likes
aschor
Apprentice
Options

I was weak, I updated to android 10, mainly for the security upgrades.

You know what ? I ALSO lost the ability to switch between applications while sliding on the home button. Thing is, I was using it a lot 😞

I found no setting to restore this, I'm not sure if it was a nova launcher feature, or a "task changer" feature, or another's app feature. But It's gone. very unhappy.

0 Likes
ComplianceDev
Explorer
Options

There is a thread for that. This thread is only for DayDream owners who are now left with a useless device because of lack of respect for customer opinion.

****Everyone post daily on this thread if you really care about this and has more than empty words.****

Sign the petition

Bboxer
Journeyman
Options

Go to display,navigation and then change the settings there. I can confirm it working on my s9.

Please don't post here and look things up on google next time.

Caden
Apprentice
Options

Please give more details on how to change the display on the setting to make it work.   Your answer doesn't help.   I hope other users will leave feedback as well. 

0 Likes
Wreckronomicon
Explorer
Options

You literally dont know what you're talking about. Please educate yourself before posting again.

0 Likes