Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speaker Issue - Call Speaker/Ear Speaker

(Topic created on: 25-02-2020 03:37 PM)
Ahockenberry
Apprentice
Options

Hey guys, I have a Galaxy S9. I'm having some issues. So when I called my ear/ is verycalling speaker is quiet. It's fine when I plug in headphones or put on speaker (using other speaker). I made sure my phone is updated along with apps. I cleared my phone cache as well as launched in safe mode. In safe mode it was a bit louder when I called but I heard loud scratching noises as if someone was rubbing fabric over the mic. Any ideas, could it just be my phone speaker needs cleaned or a tech issue?

8 REPLIES 8
AndrewL
Options
@Ahockenberry: When you're on a call, can you try pressing the Volume up button to increase the call volume to see if this helps? If not, head over to your dial pad and type in *#0283#, then select “Start: RCV_1stMic” and speak into your phone like you’re on a call. Can you hear yourself talk? Once you’ve done that select “Start: SPK_2ndMic”, talk into your phone like you’re talking to someone on speaker phone. Can you hear the playback?
0 Likes
Ahockenberry
Apprentice
Options

I did both yes, and I can hear it which is obviouslyodd but once in call mode its not as it was before. I did clean the speaker with a toothbrush as well as used canned air at a safe distance. I'm worried it might be the speaker going bad. I can say this all started before an update and I did update my phone hoping that was the issue. I did boot the phone in safe mode and the sound was back to regular volume, but had LOUD scratching noises as if someone is scraping on the mic. Crackling too which I found to be odd? I'm not sure if it's an app issue or my speakers going out, but it seems odd the speaker is louder when in safe mode or the *#0283# test. I can say when playing music it is also much softer when I block out my secondary speaker at the bottom of my phone and let the call/ear speaker at the top play alone.

0 Likes
ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Could you try a soft reset on the phone, @Ahockenberry? This will end all processes and give the phone a fresh start. To do this, press and hold the 'Power' and 'Volume Down' buttons until the phone restarts. Does this make any difference?

0 Likes
Ahockenberry
Apprentice
Options

Sadly, I did try that as well. I know probably the only option I could try next is to factory reset but at that point I'm kind of like what's the point 😂. As it would take me a few hours to make sure everything is backed up. I have had the phone since it first came out so maybe it's just time?

0 Likes
VarunAravind92
Apprentice
Options

I have the same problem. Blockg out bottom speaker makes the ear speaker sound like it on call mode and loudspeaker mode doesn't work. Tried soft reset, factory reset and cache wipe along with cleaning the mesh. Does anyone know what to do?

0 Likes
Shell34
Student
Options

I had to go into sound settings, adapt sound, then choose 30 - 60 yrs old. Ear speaker is back to normal now.

0 Likes
DinPEI
First Poster
Options

Me as well. My ear speaker just went very weak. I tried the *#0283# and the RCV_1stMic  test is barely hearable.

Soft reset and safe mode had no effect. What next??

0 Likes
Xclucvt
First Poster
Options

Make sure the screen protector isn't covering the speaker. That was my remedy 

0 Likes