Support

Open search

Samsung s9 android Pie Update Problems

Highlighted
Apprentice

i've recently updated my S9 to android pie + one UI

1.when i swipe up (new navigation bar) to recent apps, in horizontal view it always...go in to recent apps tab view -> wait awhile then switch to vertical view..which is very delaying + slowing down the movement and annoying...like when im at a full view horizontal game and i decided to go to recent apps view i swipe up to recent apps, it goes from horizontal view to vertical view not instantly but delay and turn.

2. recent apps button after u swipe up or click, it always go to the recent apps view but in a second it will move to the last apps i used which i only wanted to see the recent apps not samsung helping me to 1.go recent apps 2.move to the last apps used (please note it does nt go into the apps just showing the last used apps view in recent apps tab view) 3.i need to swipe my screeen left to move back to the apps im using to close it..very annoying

3.the fingerprint reader reaction got slowed down, the whole ui got slowed down..

158 REPLIES 158
Highlighted

Yeah, I have had 0 problems with Pie since installing it on my S9. 

Highlighted

@jfgratton wrote:

@Enjay wrote:

I'm back on oreo and my security and other software still updates through the official channel. Pie is available to download if I want too. 

Odin is samsung software as is the firmware people use so I don't see how that can do anything. 

I had pie running pretty sweet with no major problems but like many others wasn't to keen on the look. I also found the camera seemed to struggle to focus up close a bit compared to oreo. 

Also missed the pro video mode which I now have back. 

Personally found the whole camera set up a bit clunky and laggy compared to oreo. 

I think if samsung just tweaked a few things pie could be loads better. 

I know a bit about Odin as I used it on older Samsung devices. As far as I remember, those devices were not Knox-protected, nor do I know on how Odin works with S9+.

It's at your own risk, then :winking-face:

--Jeff

@Enjay is right, I've tested it, Odin works fine to revert your Android OS version without tripping KNOX.. I've had to go through some extra hurdles as Odin is Windows-based and all my systems are Linux-based here, but I managed to revert my S9+ to Android 8.

Unfortunately for me it came too late as I already had my new cell phone on its way with FedEx. My kids are now enjoying a quite new cell phone to play some games :smiling-face:

I wish I had thought of Odin before. Good work, @Enjay 

-- Jeff

Highlighted

@jfgratton wrote:

@Unyonface wrote:

You do know that Android is made by Google and not Samsung, so that's who you need to contact if you have an operating system problem...

Partly right, here.. Compare Android to a Linux distribution. Linus Torvalds and his minions write the Linux kernel, its modules (drivers), etc. On top of that you have apps, systems, such as Gnome, KDE, their associated apps, some core apps, and so on. On top of that you have distributions, companies that bundle the kernel, the windowing systems, the apps, etc, and add some distribution-specific apps and customizations.

Google is Linus Torvalds and his collaborators. Samsung is the distro. They're building an image on top of what others did.

Android 9 works just fine everywhere else (and truth be told: even on most Samsung S9+ devices). The problem is within how they (Samsung) packaged their extra customizations/apps.

I've friends on S9+ with the same carrier + area as I, and their devices work just fine.

-- Jeff

The thing is it's not just samsung having issues, apart from samsung leaving pro mode for video out. But the other little bugs etc are happening on all Android devices which suggests it's more a pie thing including the overall look, swiping for the camera etc. 

Highlighted

@Unyonface I think here we agree to disagree.

Were problems being system-wide (ie : affecting all or most Android 9 devices), the noise would have been much more louder than it is. Android 9 has been released a long time ago, sort of. I follow many forums and sites on tech-related stuff, and even our problems haven't shown on the radar.

Bugs show up in OSes, for sure. If not, every single software would end up with version 1.00 (apart for new features, of course). :smiling-face: Android 9 has its bugs, which are being addressed with updates from Googles, that then go downstreams to manufacturers (Samsung, Alcatel, etc), and then they package the google-issued OS with their own packages, UI, etc, and then, it goes to carriers, who might or might not add carrier-specific stuff, and *then* to users.

Android is good for customizations from carriers and users, compared to Apple and iOS.. Then again, iOS users expect and receive an uniform user-experience where any shortcomings for sure can be brought back at Apple's feet.

So to go back to your assesment, yeah, some bugs are Google-related, but most of what's being mentioned here on this forum, is solely Samsung's "fault".

-- Jeff

Highlighted

oh.. and one thing about "overall look"  : it's really, really solely Samsung's issue here, with their new One UI. Not Google's, not Android's .. Samsung's

-- Jeff

Highlighted

There's only about 15,000 people on here though which is a relatively small number and it is a Samsung specific site but if you Google it you find the same sort of issues on other devices. 

The thing is I think the people having issues are a minority which is why there's not more uproar. Must be millions of happy users on all Android devices. 

Highlighted

@Enjay wrote:

There's only about 15,000 people on here though which is a relatively small number and it is a Samsung specific site but if you Google it you find the same sort of issues on other devices. 

The thing is I think the people having issues are a minority which is why there's not more uproar. Must be millions of happy users on all Android devices. 

I still think that most of our issues are Samsung-related and not Google-related, but I won't fight this argument any further, except to say: if Samsung knew the issue wasn't on their side, they'd have fought tooth and nail to demonstrate that they're not responsible; them not replying is an implicit admission of being responsible, I think. I agree it is not a compelling argument. I've said my share here, and intend to stay on this and not comment any further :smiling-face:

-- Jeff

Highlighted

Disagree all you want, an OS is developed by so called parent company and then given to another company to put on their product, after it is tested by the parent company. You think they don't have all the different phones at Google to install and test the OS? Why do you think Microsoft has patches to their OS when something isn't working as intended? It's the same instance for both OS's....

Highlighted

No no I'm not arguing, I'm discussing because I find it interesting. Only problem is you can't see who you're talking to on the internet so can't read their expressions lol 

But yeh, I got a mate with his P20 to send me screen shots, looks like a Samsung lol 

Then I googled and seen the pixel, looks like samsung again! Lol 

But yeh, I'm not saying samsung aren't partly at fault either, I just think pie is a bit like Vista on pc lol

Highlighted

@Unyonface wrote:

Disagree all you want, an OS is developed by so called parent company and then given to another company to put on their product, after it is tested by the parent company. You think they don't have all the different phones at Google to install and test the OS? Why do you think Microsoft has patches to their OS when something isn't working as intended? It's the same instance for both OS's....

Ok, I'm done arguing. Again.

Learn specifically on how Android is distributed from Google to the end-user. Learn the whole channel, how the OS gets customized with looks (UI), apps (manufacturer apps, carrier apps) and then come back to us.

I happen to know a bit about this because I worked close the the team that was certifying OSes for any given phone/OS/version on their wireless network while I was working in the wireless division of a Canadian carrier. Not saying this to close the discussion, merely to say that it's a complex world out there, and it's quite more subtle than you'd think.

I do not like to pin the blame on Samsung, a company I've respected, so far. But thing is : they own this mess.

--Jeff

Top Liked Authors