Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung s9 android Pie Update Problems

(Topic created on: 05-03-2019 10:54 AM)
XiangHow
Apprentice
Options

i've recently updated my S9 to android pie + one UI

1.when i swipe up (new navigation bar) to recent apps, in horizontal view it always...go in to recent apps tab view -> wait awhile then switch to vertical view..which is very delaying + slowing down the movement and annoying...like when im at a full view horizontal game and i decided to go to recent apps view i swipe up to recent apps, it goes from horizontal view to vertical view not instantly but delay and turn.

2. recent apps button after u swipe up or click, it always go to the recent apps view but in a second it will move to the last apps i used which i only wanted to see the recent apps not samsung helping me to 1.go recent apps 2.move to the last apps used (please note it does nt go into the apps just showing the last used apps view in recent apps tab view) 3.i need to swipe my screeen left to move back to the apps im using to close it..very annoying

3.the fingerprint reader reaction got slowed down, the whole ui got slowed down..

159 REPLIES 159
KACE1
Journeyman
Options
I have the exact same problems but even more like:
1. It takes ages to load a page on the internet and just browsing.
2. Battery is draining very, very fast.
3. Takes ages to charge.
4. The UI feels sluggish.

and the list of negatives goes on and on. I wish I never updated the ***** phone because before this Android Pie update it was working brilliantly but now is running like a old, outdated phone unlike the flagship its supposed to be. Come on Samsung sport this out or I will NEVER buy another Samsung phone again. This is unbelievable in that not only did it take Samsung ages to roll out the Android Pie update but it's full of bugs and has really and truly messed my S9 up good and proper. This is UNBELIEVABLE and VERY, VERY BAD.
cit2
First Poster
Options

Problems here too. Email fetch not reliable any more. Emails appear half way donw with no way to see beginning of message...lags everywhere..

jfgratton
Pioneer
Options

I'm arguing with my current carrier. I'd have to break my contract to get any other new device (anything but an S9+, as I'm done with it). Then, on top of paying for the remainder of my contract to pay, I'd have to pay part of the new device (even if my credit is good), so they're a no-go for me. They offered me to exchange my S9+ for another one, which I was quite reluctant to do since I'd get in the same fix once the device updates to Android 9.

Went to another carrier (hey, if I'd have to pay the remainder of my contract, might as well go somewhere where I can get a decent device no strings attached), my choice is back-order for a week or so, so I'll have to wait.

In the meantime, no official word from Samsung, and of course no update either. What a surprise.

I've always known that their customer service s*ck. For once I would have liked to be proven wrong...

--Jeff

0 Likes
TazD
Apprentice
Options

Hey there ....jfgratton....My problem got solved, I went to a certified dealer repair service, my problem was software. They reininstalled the new software for the new android 9. What happened was as it was downloading the new software it froze for a millie second causing a disruption in the download, so the reinstall took. My advice is Don't fork over such $ yet. take the new phone the offer; as they rarely do that, stay with carrier til the end. If you have trouble find a certified authorized repair dealer they have to fix for free for max 1 yr. of purchase. If you live in Edmonton, AB its the Mobile Klinic in WEM.   I kmow you will regret the  it later with suck a  cost. But you will not regret the Certified repair, they know thier stuff. 

TazD

0 Likes
DS33
Journeyman
Options

This is the worst Samsung update ever. The Samsung music app doesn't work properly, you can't assign a regular ringtone it keeps automatically defaulting back to an AT&t ringtone. There better be an update to correct some of this ***** soon otherwise I'm getting rid of this phone. Sadly Samsung was my favorite but not anymore.

0 Likes
ozziecj
Student
Options

I also have similar problems.

Other things for me are: 1. The tap function to answer and end calls has disappeared      

2. Battery life terrible. This morning I started with 100%, checked my emails,         spent 30 minutes on Twitter, quick check of instagram, battery now 79% 

3. The buttons look childish, for an expensive phone it’s pathetic 

ozwaldtjustice
Journeyman
Options

Add these to the list.

Android auto starting intermitantly

Google podcasts no longer available in android auto

Volume controls in andoid auto now freeze

Keyboard interface now typing incorrect charaters

Volume no longer loud through bluetooth.

In Short Samsumg its a dog. Raise your white flag retreat and roll it back you may even live to fight another day.

0 Likes
jfgratton
Pioneer
Options

@TazD wrote:

Hey there ....jfgratton....My problem got solved, I went to a certified dealer repair service, my problem was software. They reininstalled the new software for the new android 9. What happened was as it was downloading the new software it froze for a millie second causing a disruption in the download, so the reinstall took. My advice is Don't fork over such $ yet. take the new phone the offer; as they rarely do that, stay with carrier til the end. If you have trouble find a certified authorized repair dealer they have to fix for free for max 1 yr. of purchase. If you live in Edmonton, AB its the Mobile Klinic in WEM.   I kmow you will regret the  it later with suck a  cost. But you will not regret the Certified repair, they know thier stuff. 

TazD

Glad to see it worked out for you ! I've looked around in Montreal, I've found a place that might flash my phone but, 1) they're almost as expensive as the deal for a new phone I'd get from another carrier, and 2) they cannot garantee that I wouldn't be tripping Knox on the phone and thus voiding the warranty. Have a look at your phone, is your phone flagged as "official" or "custom" ?

You are right that I *might* regret throwing cash at another phone, but see it another way: how much *now* can you trust Samsung with its customer service, and the quality of their updates ? I'd rather not experience this mess anymore.

--JFG

0 Likes
jfgratton
Pioneer
Options

By the way, @TadZ, I'm not sure a corrupted download is the cause as you suggested :

There's a lot of checksuming involved in a typical install to avoid the scenario you've evoked. An OS image that'd get corrupted would fail the checksum check and just wouldn't install. Moreover, any additional patches or security update would fail on a corrupted OS (most likely), and I've received February's security update on top of Android 9, here.

--JFG

0 Likes
Gryph
First Poster
Options

Samsung has really screwed up big this time! Not to mention they got rid of the sleek, professional look and feel that S9 originally had, but now I can't even install apps from the galaxy store or from apk. Prior to his Pie Update, it would pop up a message and direct me to where I can turn on permissions from unknown sources. Now it doesn't even do that.... Not to mention the only section in settings that's even remotely close to that is "Install unknown apps" but that only brings up a list of apps already installed on my phone.... galaxy store is already selected as one that allows "unknown apps", yet it still can't install ANYTHING...... not to mention that I can't install anything directly from an apk file either.

This is ridiculous!

0 Likes