Support

Open search

S9+ telephoto lens doesn't work in Pro mode

Highlighted
Explorer

When the Camera app is used in Pro mode (necessary to shoot RAW files) there's no 2x button for accessing the telephoto lens. It's possible to zoom but this uses only the normal wideangle lens, so you get a digitally zoomed, lower resolution JPEG and a RAW file showing a wider field of view at full resolution. 

It seems to me this is an unfortunate omission because people who are into photography are most likely to want to shoot in RAW and be concerned about image quality. And it can probably be fixed easily by a developer adding the 2x telephoto button already present in the Auto mode to the Pro one.

If any Samsung developers are reading this, please upgrade the Camera app to incorporate this change.

23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
My brother bought the mate 20 pro because of this. Come on samsung...
Highlighted
Thanks for informing the community. I don't see why samsung would remove something this valuable from the phone. It's idiosyncratic...

I believe the same thing happened on the auto mode. If you select the 2x button, try to cover the tele lens, theres no obstruction indication on the lens, unless you select the potrait mode.

Highlighted

Bought the S9+ few days ago just to discover this thing.. any news or even open-source apps that can work around this problem?

Top Liked Authors