Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S9 region lock win SIM

(Topic created on: 07-10-2020 05:44 AM)
smackerus
Student
Options

Hi, 

I currently have a S9 purchased in Australia.  I have been using the phone with local providers, Telstra and Optus for the last year.  I will be moving to Canada and wish to take the phone and use it with a Canadian SIM card.  From what I have read, because I have used the phone for more than 30 min in Australia with a local SIM, I should have no troubles using the phone in Canada with a Canadian SIM.  Is that correct?

Cheers,

Shawn

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
Gavinh
Helping Hand
Options
I think its down to the software if its snapdragon or exynos i believe snapdragon can be used anywhere and exynos is Europe dont quote me on this.
0 Likes
Solution
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @smackerus 

Yes using a local sim card in the phone and making at least 10 minutes of calls to a local number removes the region lock.

I assume the phone was purchased directly from Samsung meaning it's also unlocked to all network's.

Region Lock.

"All current Samsung phones come with an active regional lock when first bought. Assuming it's not also locked to a specific network, using a SIM from the same regional origin as the phone for at least 5 minutes of total talktime will disable the regional lock and allow you to use a SIM from any other region from then on."

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
Solution
smackerus
Student
Options

Hey @bandofbrothers,

Thanks!  It was purchased at a retailer (not mobile provider) so I should be good to go.

Cheers!

BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
No worries.

So as long as the retailer lists the phone as unlocked to all network's you'll be good to go.

:smiling-face:

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
JennyLangley
First Poster
Options
Shawn Mendes surprises from Jenny
0 Likes