Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S9 Plus Screen Flickering, Green Tint/Bars, Black Screen Issue

(Topic created on: 16-05-2020 11:37 PM)
Sohel
Student
Options

tldr; Turning auto brightness off and setting brightness to the lowest might work.

---

I have been using the Exynos model for past two years. About a month ago or so the device first exhibited screen flickering issue all of a sudden. Green bars, black screen area, sort of animated and laggy. For the time being, only immediate lock-unlock attempts were causing the screen flickering (meaning, when I unlocked immediately after locking the device, the screen was causing trouble). I left it as it was and just kept avoiding immediate unlocking. Anyhow, after maybe a couple of weeks, out of nowhere the screen appeared to be flickering permanently and the device was rendered totally unusable. I tried doing some troubleshooting, factory reset, odin flash, etc. and none of them worked. Could not visit a service center in this lockdown situation.

Later, I figured that in my case, the screen is working at a very low brightness and partially working at full brightness but not working at all in between. It's just 90% black, 10% green and such. For about a week, I have been using it at a low (i.e. 5% to 10%) brightness. Left the auto brightness, always on display, and screen-on iris recognition settings turned off. I use Bixby or Google Assistant to set the brightness if I can't see the screen. With these setup, it's working for now. As of the software, I am on the latest firmware (May 2020 security patch).

From my observation, the issue had something to do with heating. I am not certain but I feel like the issue occurs more frequently if the device is used for prolonged period and heated up due to gaming or mobile data usage. I would suggest anyone who is stuck during this time before you can repair, should your device work at a low brightness then clean up the phone, get rid of unnecessary apps, games and reduce/avoid long usage that cause heating. Also leave the medium power saving mode on as it limits the CPU usage which supposedly help reducing the heating as well. Do not use night mode, gray wallpapers, etc. Use light or colorful backgrounds, apps, etc.

Thanks. Stay home and safe.

126 REPLIES 126
YossiS
First Poster
Options

Exact same issue on my S9+

0 Likes
Hemkumar
First Poster
Options

Looking for permanent solution from Samsung. Kindly read the thread and respond.

I am using my Samsung S9+ from past 10 months and I am too facing this issue from today which was worked fine for me till yesterday.

I am getting this issue only after factory reset.

This is what I have done, since my phone memory was full, I have backed-up my device and did factory reset last night and restored all my stuffs like apps, settings, etc,. after that itself i could see my screen has turned somewhat greyish and the screen starts mild flicks.

I have noticed and turned-off all display related settings like auto brightness, dark mode, display quality as FHD but the mild flicks continues.

After few minutes of time my entire screen itself starts flickering with green and black lines.

I felt that something incorrectly happened after factory reset, inorder to correct that i did the factory reset one more time. but no luck.

Now I am using my phone with low brightness and with minimal apps.

My phone is under warrenty till Dec 2020, is this can be resolved by service center?

is that good if they want to change my hardward parts like display, battery? I doubts that they will replace good quality parts.

How long it takes if they want to replace display and is that readily available. 

Kindly advice if someone aware. thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Hemkumar
First Poster
Options

Is that your phone working without any issue? are the replacing quality hardware spares in the service centers? is that trustable? what is the time taken to replace your hardware? please advice.

0 Likes
kapilricky
First Poster
Options

i am also seeing this issue randomly, after almost 2 years old device (S9+ Indian unlocked version)

Recently i added work profile and Android Auto 😞

0 Likes
kumarg
First Poster
Options

I too have this issue and my warranty is over just a month before. Hope they will have fix Soon

0 Likes
Hana0077
Apprentice
Options

I had same issue with my S9+ after more than 2 years of usage (out of warranty). Yellow, dark screen, then it went completely black with few horizontal lines in the top.

Once I was able to start it with normal screen, but after that it went again dark. U put it on my radiator for about 2 hours but it did not help.

Next I put it to the freezer for about 4 hours and wow,, screen came back.

But was not so bright even at full brightness  (I guess it was at 2/3 brightness) and was very warm. I started phone in Safe mode and screen here was again 100% bright and phone was cold.

Next I wiped cache in Service mode and restarted back to normal mode. First few minutes brightness was 100%,, then brightness suddenly went down and phone went hot.
I installed antivirus (Eset, Avast) and removed one potentially dangerous app related with Ecovacs Home vacuum robot (not sure but it was probably Eset mobile), switched screen resolution to FHD (lowest) and closed some apps with high CPU consumption (using 3C Task Manager).

Brightness came back to 100% and phone was nice cool. Not it works 20+ hours without any issues.

Hope it will last...if not I will put it to the freezer again :)

dozzler
Student
Options

Hi, just wanted to report that this mornings update has fixed my issue. Although at first it looked like it had knackered my phone further as it was fully stuck on the black screen with green bars on the top after the update initialised. After a few hard resets using power and volume button and also a couple of times holding the bixby button, volume up and power at the same time I could eventually see the update installing on the flickering screen very faint. Once complete my screen issue has resolved and I dont have to use the work arounds like always on display or a display app. Good luck all!

dozzler
Student
Options

Spoke too soon. The issues back again although less frequent. Requires me using the always on display workaround again!

Vinayparmar
Apprentice
Options

Found a permanent solution to this problem.

Simply throw your phone in the trash, it fixes the problem permanantly.

Also don't forget to never buy samsung phons ever again.

Geo333
Student
Options

Can't argue here, samsung phones seem to last 2 years max now. Avoid at all costs