Support

Open search

S9+ pie update hotspot problems

Highlighted
Apprentice

Hello,

I have the S9+ (CE version) and this morning had the bad idea to install the Pie update. One of the most important features for me is the ability to share wifi from the phone at max speed. My land line is very poor, and I got me an unlimited 4G+ plan just for this purpose. So as with the Xiaomi I had before, as well as the S9+ under 8.0, I had the option to set up the hotspot to emit at 5 GHz, and it worked fine. Just this morning I downloaded an update at 19 MB/s.

So I update the S9+ to 9.0/Pie, start the hotspot and see it's only emitting at 2.4 GHz. I go into settings and boom, the option to use 5 GHz isn't there anymore. Did I just performa an update that threw me 10 years back and onto a 100€ phone? My hotspot settings "Advanced Options" only has one option about PMF, I had a "5 GHz" toggle 2 hours ago on 8.0.

I called support and all they could tell me is to backup everything, reset the phone and "see how it goes". Before I waste my time doing that, probably for nothing, I'd like an official answer: did the Pie update on the S9+ officially remove the ability to share the phone on 5 GHz wifi? Or is it just a temporary fluke and that will be patched (though it's been 2 months now)?

Thank you.

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted

Also is your phone the Qualcomm version or the Exynos

Highlighted

@kromr6487 wrote:

How did you manage to reflash it every time I try to it just constantly gets stuck on Setup Connection

I followed to the letter the instruction on the sammobile.com page for my phone. If you connect your phone to the PC through USB, do you see files on it? Does Smart Switch on your PC see the phone? If not then it may be a driver issue.

Highlighted

@kromr6487 wrote:

Also is your phone the Qualcomm version or the Exynos

It's the EU model, so Exynos.

Highlighted

Ah well that explains it cause mine is the Qualcomm model and since there is no way of enabling OEM unlock I can't reflash my phone right?

Highlighted

@kromr6487 wrote:

Ah well that explains it cause mine is the Qualcomm model and since there is no way of enabling OEM unlock I can't reflash my phone right?

I'm not an expert on these things, sorry.

Edit: I mean mine was unlocked, I never looked into ways to unlock mine without need.

Highlighted
Observer

Hello,

I realise that I am a few month late, but I have found the culprit. Hopefully it will be still useful to some of you.

Basically to have an option of selecting 5 GHz, you have to have your hotspot in Wi-Fi Hotspot modem, and not in Wi-Fi Sharing mode. You can read the difference here:

https://medium.com/@ximplifyit/wifi-hotspot-vs-wifi-sharing-configuring-lg-v20-4a14f67db23f

To do that, make sure that the box bottom box above the list of connected devices is unchecked.

Hope it helps. 

Highlighted
it works. I can see 2.4 with channles. But there is no option to change 2.4 to 5.
I mean "Use 5 GHz band when available." not appears!
Highlighted

Hey i have the same problem you had and i just read this post im not very tech savvy so i dont understand what you said. How can i get my 5g hotspot back. I never update i finaly talked myself into doing it and they screwed me... if you could explain how to fix this alittle more simple please lol that would be amazing

Highlighted
No thats not right both ways mine does not give me the option to select 5g stupid update
Top Liked Authors