Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

S9 Dual Sim / Hybrid Sim

(Topic created on: 02/04/18 19:41)
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 | S9+

I am lucky enough enough to be able to upgrade to a S9 and wondered if there are any drawbacks to having a dual sim. I understand that i have to remove the SD card so those apps and data won't be available, but unless there are any differences I can't see why Samsung produce two models at the same price 

My concern is that a dual sim runs a different version of the OS so may be slower in getting updates or Android P.

Anyone got first hand experience? 

I do occasionally travel overseas and carrying two phones is a pain  

Thanks, 

Rob

0 Likes
56 REPLIES 56
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 | S9+

I've got wifi calling enabled for my O2 SIM which I did through the My O2 app  I haven't had the settings for it sent through for my 3 mobile SIM though. The 3 app won't allow it done from there as I got the phone from Samsung and not them. 

0 Likes
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 | S9+

Thanks for the info, and just to cobfirm you are using DualSim handset?

I am planning on using EE UK as their WifiCalling apparently is active anytime you are on wifi network.

Vodafone UK only use wificalling when signal is at 1bar or less.

Gavlar

0 Likes
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 | S9+

Yes. I'm using O2 and 3 at the same time

0 Likes
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 | S9+

Have a S9+ dual sim,  EE in the UK and WiFi calling works fine for me. 

Bought phone directly from Samsung so unlocked, used existing sim card from previous phone with no issues  

0 Likes
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 | S9+

Screenshot_20180330-221649_Phone.jpg

Just to put your mind at rest you can see it enabled in the settings 

First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 | S9+
Thanks, just about to ring to local store to see if they have stock.
0 Likes
First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 | S9+

I'm looking to buy an S9 from Samsung direct, but...

I understand phones bought from samsung direct typically won't have network-specific things like VoLTE enalbed (which are installed onto phones already if you buy them from networks such as EE).

Does anyone find they miss these network-specific things such as VoLTE?

0 Likes
Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 | S9+

I have a dual SIM S9 Plus and both Volte and Wifi calling are enabled. As I said in a previous post on here,  is more you did with if your network allows it on a phone not bought from them. O2 does and you can set it up on the My O2 app. But it works for the SIM 1 onlyScreenshot_20180402-175039_Phone.jpg

Screenshot_20180402-174959_Mobile networks.jpg

Navigator
Options
Galaxy S9 | S9+

You can see the wifi calling symbol at the top of the picture. Someone else was going to use EE I think but not sure if he was doing it through their app or if he had to contact them. 

First Poster
Options
Galaxy S9 | S9+

Hey thanks for the information on Friday. I made the trip to the nearest store on Saturday and purchased the S9 Hybrid durectly from Samsung. I placed my new EE SIM (New SimOnly contract) into the phone.

The WifiCalling setting was already visible in the phones settings and when enabled I was able to use wificalling successfully (Tested with Airplane mode, and then turning only Wi-Fi on)

As for the recent post about VoLTE, I am unable to see the setting for it, so it appears that it may need EE to do something, or may never work.

Gavlar

0 Likes