Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S9 - battery the same in different models?

(Topic created on: 01-03-2020 03:19 PM)
chemicallymark
Apprentice
Options

Hello,

Does anyone know if the different models of the S9 around the world use the same battery type? Im talking about S9 and not the S9 plus.

For example:
Does the S9 SM-G960F from the EU use the exact same battery model/type as ther S9 SM-G960U from the US?

I know both batteries are 3000mAh.

Could the batteries be interchanged without issue or are they specific to phone model?

Thanks.

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

The batteries are glued in place and the phone sealed so are not meant to be removed unless performed by a Samsung engineer / authorised engineer as the warranty would be voided and extreme care needs to be broached when batteries are concerned. Having a battery split can be dangerous.

Different Samsung Assembly Houses in countries can use different parts to others sometimes when assembling phones.

Take a look at JerrhRigEverything as he opens up phones to show what inside them on YouTube 

Other tear downs may yield further help.

May I ask why your asking ?

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
chemicallymark
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for your input.

I'm not going to change the battery myself. I used to work in a battery research company so I know how dangerous they can be:-)

I'll have a look and see what I can see. Some time on Google before my post didnt really give any help.

Im asking because a Samsung CS rep said the UK team will not touch a phone from the US as the battery is different. I know the CPUs are different but I was sceptical about the battery as it doesn't make sense when creating a product so called a reputable 3rd party service centre and the guy I spoke to said the battery is the same.

I wanted some further insight so came to the forum to see if Samsung are being honest or if they're more worried about "cross model" warranty issues.

And additionally to see if the 3rd party is a "yes man" for business or if its reddit the case that the batteries for a S9 are one fit all.

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

You're very welcome @chemicallymark 

I appreciate what the Samsung Customer Services Representative was saying. It maybe more of a case of support not being given to a phone from another country under the Samsung Manufacturing Warranty.

I'm no engineer but I would be surprised to learn each use a different battery.

If your in the UK then I'd suggest that a visit to a Samsung Experience Store or Samsung Service Centre may yield further clarification.

0 Likes
chemicallymark
Apprentice
Options

I looked at a Jerry tear down vid of the S9.

Cant tell what model he was opening up but the battery was a EB-BG960ABA. It appears there is another model called the EB-BG960ABE. 

From doing some looking on places that sell batteries I can't tell what the difference is. Maybe the ABA is for "America" and ABE for "Europe" 🙂

Im travelling a lot for work so dont have a lot of time free and need the battery changed in a day or so. I'll keep looking at the battery types and post back if I discover anything.

Thanks again!

BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Ok @chemicallymark 

I know from personal experience that a Samsung Experience Store or Samsung Service Centre can if they have the free slots carry out most work in the same day.

It's worth asking one even with what you've been told previously.

It's a matter of getting one with that free slot :winking-face:

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

0 Likes