Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My s9 plus screen flickers

(Topic created on: 28-06-2020 06:30 AM)
Cruztech
Apprentice
Options

I've been using my s9 plus for past a year and it was all good so far .but now I'm started experiencing a problem with the screen. When I turn the screen off and turn on immediately, the display flickers and a color change is there and when I keep screen off for 5 sec or more and then turn on. My display is normal and when using,  there is no issue at all. The only issue is when screen off and turn on immediately..

Does anybody experienced this before ? Or am I the first to have this weird....

Feel like moving out of Samsung now 

178 REPLIES 178
SJ2020
Journeyman
Options

Deleting the partition did not work for me. OLED saver made the phone usable. Mind you, the screen is not as bright and resolution and colours are sh*+ when I use this. But at least I can see the screen and make calls. 

0 Likes
bluealmond
Apprentice
Options

definetly a software issue, my wife has a s9 and i have a s9plus and both phones have now the same problem at the same time, her phone is about 6 months older than mine, so is very unlikely that is a coincidence.

We are both out of warranty and i have taken great care of my phone, i have a heavy dutty otter box, never dropped, never give it to my child.  Samsung has to man up and offer a fix. 

THe AOD fix didnt work for me, but the OLED saver did. howver this is only a workaround.

1Mohit1
Apprentice
Options

The problem is partially solved for me. I updated my device to one ui 2.1 and the screen flickering issue is completely gone. Yes, there is green tint here and there but is specially evident in dark mode so I am sticking to light mode for now and by far my device is preety stable. Yes the black crush issue is still being faced.. though only visible while watching videos and browsing pics. So, I will recommend everyone to update to one ui 2.1 and atleast make your device usable.

ScootyJ
Apprentice
Options

Like others I too thought it had to be a hardware issue. Tried the AOD setting, no joy. Tried Safe Mode, same issue, reset cache, same issue, basically all the things people said to try in this thread except factory reset.

The OLED saver is the only thing that seems to have fixed it. I found it was a very obvious issue when turning the brightness right down, I could see the flickering and lines on the screen.  Power cycle or a restart would sometimes fix it but usually not for very long. I also tried turning off AOD and it went funny (not haha but peculiar) so I have left AOD on with the OLED saver. So far so good. 

FYI

Android Version: 10

Kernel Version: 4.9.118-17633310 (1st Feb 2020)

Build #: QP1A.190711.020.G965FXXS7DTB5

Security Patch Level 1st March 2020

So now we know there is quite obviously a software issue and it would be nice if Samsung came to the party and acknowledged there is a problem with the latest build and would at least let the community know they are working on it. I am just out of contract and will be considering another brand if they don't fix this up. I know things are not built to last any more but I expect more than 2 years from a $1000 phone!

Now to sort out a 1 1/2 year old Macbook Air that is double typing due to the poor design on their butterfly keyboards. Oh 2020 what a year!!

ScootyJ
Apprentice
Options

Where did you get the one UI 2.1 from? I am on 2.0

0 Likes
Sh_b
Journeyman
Options

It started by a software problem but i doubt the remedy is also in Software issues.

0 Likes
1Mohit1
Apprentice
Options

I am on Indian firmware (ins) and the update is here. Though I did it using smart switch as there was no ota update showing on my device and I was restless to wait. Maybe, it's not available in your region yet but still check using smart switch once just to be sure.

0 Likes
1Mohit1
Apprentice
Options
Well, I am pretty sure this issue can be addressed via software update since samsung managed to do the same with it's S20 series. Also, so many devices including S8, Note 8, S9, Note 9 and even S10 series from many regions have been affected with this issue (as far as I know) so it's definitive that samsung will be addressing it with future update as hardware replacement program isn't a viable option here and users are definitely not going to pay a penny here. And since every device is showing almost same behavior so finding the cause shouldn't be difficult for samsung.
0 Likes
ScootyJ
Apprentice
Options
Yeah I read that the UI 2.1 is only available at this stage on the S20 models, the S9 and 10's are due to be upgraded but we will just have to wait I guess unless Samsung come to the party and release an update addressing this particular issue
0 Likes
Nethu
Student
Options

I am also facing the same issue. It is almost simmilar the one decsribed by many users. The warrnty has been just expired on during the covid lockdown period. Visted the authorized dealer today and they quickly concluded the screen should be replaced ( Unfortunately it is almost half of the original price LKR 55000+) ... how comes a software issue would be resolved by hardware replacement....

I have being using samsung for last 10+ years and this is pathetic ..... Why they cant take a  resposnsibilty over the update they released... why at least they can not issue a statement ... what we should do.... I can not trust their authorised service center conclusion as now I know that everyone encounterd the issue after the latest update . ( I am on latest 01 june 2020) 

Do they want to sell their screens stocks in this resesion period.... 

I can not imagine how so called global smart phone giant .. playing around  with their customers like this... Dont they see these forums....???

What we should do.. really disapointed.... !!!!

( A customer from Sri Lanka )

0 Likes