Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My s9 plus screen flickers

(Topic created on: 11-11-2019 07:32 AM)
Cruztech
Apprentice
Options

I've been using my s9 plus for past a year and it was all good so far .but now I'm started experiencing a problem with the screen. When I turn the screen off and turn on immediately, the display flickers and a color change is there and when I keep screen off for 5 sec or more and then turn on. My display is normal and when using,  there is no issue at all. The only issue is when screen off and turn on immediately..

Does anybody experienced this before ? Or am I the first to have this weird....

Feel like moving out of Samsung now 

178 REPLIES 178
Cassidy007
Samsung Members Star ★★★
Options

Hi @Cruztech 

First : Update as been delivered in some Country, check yours

Video :

https://youtu.be/-WcsVqTvvh4

Force restart your Galaxy S9

Always begin your troubleshooting with a reboot because while it’s a very simple procedure, it’s also very effective in dealing with problems that are not really that serious or complicated. A flickering screen might be a sign of one of those problems. However, instead of doing the normal reboot sequence, I suggest you do the Forced Reboot to simulate battery disconnect and refresh your phone’s memory.

• Press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power key together for 10 seconds or more.

Your Galaxy S9 will reboot like it usually does and if the flickering issue stops, then the problem wasn’t really that serious. There might have been some glitches in the system or some app may have caused it. But if it continues, then move on to the next procedure.

Reboot your phone in Safe mode

Rebooting your Galaxy S9 in Safe mode won’t fix the problem but it will tell you right off the bat if it’s caused by an app. When in this mode, all the third-party apps are temporarily disabled. So, if one of them is causing the problem, the flickering shouldn’t occur while the phone is in this mode.

1. Turn the device off.
  2. Press and hold the Power key past the model name screen appearing on the screen.
  3. When SAMSUNG appears on the screen, release the Power key.
  4. Immediately after releasing the Power key, press and hold the Volume down key.
  5. Continue to hold the Volume down key until the device finishes restarting.
  6. When Safe mode appears in the bottom left corner of the screen, release the Volume down key.

Once the phone enters safe mode, continue to observe it to know if the flickering occurs from time to time or not because if the problem seems fixed, it means there’s an app that causes it. The next thing you should do is find that app and then uninstall it:

1. From the Home screen, swipe up on an empty spot to open the Apps tray.
  2. Tap Settings > Apps.
  3. Tap the desired application in the default list.
  4. To display preinstalled apps, tap Menu Show system apps.
  5. Tap UNINSTALL > OK.

However, if the flickering continues, then you should move on to the next procedure.

Delete all system caches so they’ll be replaced

The Android system creates caches for all services, features and apps so there should be a cache for the service that handles the operation of the display and touchscreen. However, you don’t have access to those apps but you can delete them all at once. Once the deleted, the system will recreate them during the first boot sequence after wiping the cache partition and all of it is done automatically so you don’t have to worry too much about it. So, to delete those files, follow these steps:

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
  3. When the Android logo displays, release all three keys.
  4. An ‘Installing system update’ message will show for 30 – 60 seconds before the Android system recovery menu options appear.
  5. Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
  6. Press Power key to select.
  7. Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Power key to select.
  8. When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
  9. Press the Power key to restart the device.

After this, try to see if the flickering continues because if so, there’s one more thing you should do before you actually bring the phone to the shop for a checkup.

Perform the Master Reset

A reset will rule out the possibility that the screen flickering problem with your phone is due to a firmware issue that’s why it’s necessary to do this. Aside from that, all your personal information will be deleted so your privacy is protected. But bear in mind that all your files and data will also be deleted especially ones that are stored in your phone’s internal storage, so make a backup of files you don’t want to lose. After the backup, remove your google account from your phone so won’t get locked out after the reset. Once everything is set and ready, follow these steps to reset your phone:

1. Turn off the device.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
  3. When the green Android logo displays, release all keys (‘Installing system update’ will show for about 30 – 60 seconds before showing the Android system recovery menu options).
  4. Press the Volume down key several times to highlight ‘wipe data / factory reset’.
  5. Press Power button to select.
  6. Press the Volume down key until ‘Yes — delete all user data’ is highlighted.
  7. Press Power button to select and start the master reset.
  8. When the master reset is complete, ‘Reboot system now’ is highlighted.
  9. Press the Power key to restart the device.

If the problem continues after this, bring your phone back to the store and have it checked

Source : https://thedroidguy.com/2019/11/fix-samsung-galaxy-s9-screen-flickering-issue-easy-steps-1081170

Vous aimez la photographie ? Si OUI, cliquez ici : https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/parlons-photographie/bd-p/photo-club-forum-fr
You like photography , if YES, Click here : https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/photography-talk/bd-p/photo-club-forum-uk
sajadnp
Student
Options

I'm also facing the same issue on my samsung s9. I did all the way to fix it but it doesn't work still not yet resolved. When I try with recovery mode then I'm unable view all options. Really disappointed.

Liliput
Student
Options

Yes, I also suffer from the same thing. It has happeed since two weeks ago.. it flickers when i turn off and turn on the display  immediately. but if i leave it for some time, it is normal. when it is normal, it is normal. but it is really annoying and dissapointing. thinking to change to apple maybe

juned272pune
Apprentice
Options

Hi There,

I am also facing the same Issue. the display flickers and a color change is there and when I keep screen off for 5 sec or more and then turn on. My display is normal and when using,  there is no issue at all. The only issue is when screen off and turn on immediately

Please let me know if you have any solution for this.

Thanks

sajadnp
Student
Options

Only one solution it's there. You can turn it off auto brightness and make it low your display brightness it'll be fine. I think after update everyone facing the same issue. Sensor not working properly or something else.

0 Likes
Liliput
Student
Options

@juned272pune wrote:

Hi There,

I am also facing the same Issue. the display flickers and a color change is there and when I keep screen off for 5 sec or more and then turn on. My display is normal and when using,  there is no issue at all. The only issue is when screen off and turn on immediately

Please let me know if you have any solution for this.

Thanks

Hi there, I have found the solution. I turned on "always on display" and whenever I want to turn on the screen, I just tap  multiple times on the screen. And the phone works well until now (almost 2 months alrd). And dont let your phone off for any reason, make sure to avoid turning on by power button or finger print sensor. Hope this help.

OxygenPT
Apprentice
Options

My s9+ started doing the exactly same thing. I tried flashing new android 10 and still the same. The Recovery Menu is unreadable, and when you power off from Recovery Menu, the Samsung logo is all greenish and only recovers after 5 seconds screen power off. I feel there is something wrong with the GPU and not exactly the screen hardware as it works good most of the time. Did anyone had any success fixing this problem? 

0 Likes
OxygenPT
Apprentice
Options
I had my smartphone repaired under warranty. They replaced the board and the problem is now solved. It seems the screen is not the issue but something internal.
Cassidy007
Samsung Members Star ★★★
Options

@OxygenPT 

Was it the motherboard ?

Vous aimez la photographie ? Si OUI, cliquez ici : https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/parlons-photographie/bd-p/photo-club-forum-fr
You like photography , if YES, Click here : https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/photography-talk/bd-p/photo-club-forum-uk
0 Likes