Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotspot with Android 10 missing Allowed Devices

(Topic created on: 17-07-2020 02:06 PM)
GravityPurple
Student
Options

This message was originally sent to Samsung Members via Error Reports. Here's my copy of the last part to them.  My concern isn't being answered though. I understand that Google have random Mac addresses however my devices are not Google devices. I live by roundabout and with my last wired broadband. I noticed outside Android devices using my broadband without my permission. Changed passwords and they come back within minutes. Your Allowed Devices works like a dream, tested it with one of my phones and even with my password, it couldn't connect to my hotspot. I know with Android 10 you've added Auto Hotspot for Samsung devices but my Devices are Xbox One X, PS4, 2 Oculus devices, Amazon sticks. They will never be Android 10 Devices.

The odds of a Google Device randomly selecting one of my devices MAC addresses and being in range of my hotspot are less an me winning the lottery. If there are no plans to add Allowed Devices back. Can you tell me and if it is so I can reset this phone back to Android 9. The loss of Allowed Devices is greater than any gains of Android 10.

29 REPLIES 29
Sherif3
First Poster
Options

Please put the feature back

If you believe it is a security issue that maybe someone takes the mac then can you provide an alternative and show a warning ? I don't believe that was the reason

You can also keep it with a warning it can be useful at home if I want to allow connection to a device only when I need without stopping other devices

siddharth-
Student
Options

not worked

0 Likes
siddharth-
Student
Options

same with me

0 Likes
Leon67576
First Poster
Options
I totally agree and although I've enjoyed using the Samsung S9 and have been considering upgrading to the S20, if I do not see the return of the Allowed Devices Option, I will be considering moving to another phone that does provide that capability. Mobile Hotspot is already regulated by the provider (Verizon), and its limits should not be further reduced by the phone provider (Samsung). And I do require that Allowed Devices option as I sometimes do need to occasionally configure which devices are able to connect to my hotspot.
more10
First Poster
Options

#Me too

0 Likes
coderqueen
First Poster
Options

Allowed devices was a great security measure and it's very disappointing that the Samsung Team doesn't seem to hear the people requesting it back. Weird they even removed in the first place.. Very disappointing.

wasfii
First Poster
Options

Please bring back Allowed devices feature !! i really need it... 

M2Kind2001
First Poster
Options

I totally agree about the allowed devices feature omitted from Android 10. Quite honestly, I was like, "WTF - Why?" But realized this was a feature taken off by Android - owned by Google. I know of many with Android 10 phones under different phone brands, and  this feature is not on it as well.

Now, of course, Samsung could customize an update to rectify this situation, or we can resort to downloading a third-party app (and if anyone knows of one, please let us know). But I'm not certain Samsung can customize anything worth having, due to the securities of Android - maybe?

At this point, I think companies have washed their hands of Android 10. They know of it's deficiencies - regardless of Android 10's so-called upgrades. I guess it's either hope for the better with Android 11 or roll back to 9. As usual, the consumer loses in this case. And why would they care, consumers give them no incentive to fix what is wrong - we'll grin and bare it, while we wait for the next version. 

I feel you all on this. Unfortunately, let the venting continue.

0 Likes
TheTruth
Student
Options

After the FORCED update from android 9 to 10 on my Galaxy A20 - NO allowed devices in hotspot settings, WPA2 PSK setting will not connect to my HP Envy laptop.  This has rendered the hotspot feature useless.  Also, while on an active phone call, the ability to do a voice search in Chrome does not work.  I tried to contact Google but to no avail.  Phone recording states that offices are closed due to covid 19.  No email address for google support.  I feel violated by google forced updates.

0 Likes
Hadi Ebrahimi
First Poster
Options

"allowed device" was a very very very useful feature in samsung phones.

I want it back as soon as possible.

At the moment, when I turn on my phone hotspot, all of my devices connect to my phone and I have no control on they.

0 Likes