Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotspot with Android 10 missing Allowed Devices

(Topic created on: 19-05-2020 05:45 PM)
GravityPurple
Student
Options

This message was originally sent to Samsung Members via Error Reports. Here's my copy of the last part to them.  My concern isn't being answered though. I understand that Google have random Mac addresses however my devices are not Google devices. I live by roundabout and with my last wired broadband. I noticed outside Android devices using my broadband without my permission. Changed passwords and they come back within minutes. Your Allowed Devices works like a dream, tested it with one of my phones and even with my password, it couldn't connect to my hotspot. I know with Android 10 you've added Auto Hotspot for Samsung devices but my Devices are Xbox One X, PS4, 2 Oculus devices, Amazon sticks. They will never be Android 10 Devices.

The odds of a Google Device randomly selecting one of my devices MAC addresses and being in range of my hotspot are less an me winning the lottery. If there are no plans to add Allowed Devices back. Can you tell me and if it is so I can reset this phone back to Android 9. The loss of Allowed Devices is greater than any gains of Android 10.

29 REPLIES 29
AndrewL
Options
@GravityPurple: There are a few security features that you can enable to prevent third parties from connecting to your Mobile Hotspot. If you go to Settings > Connections > Mobile Hotspot and Tethering > Mobile Hotspot > On > Password (set a password). Now, tap the 3 dots in the top right and select Wi-Fi Sharing > Off > Back > Tap the 3 dots again > Configure Mobile Hotspot > Hide My Device (tap the circle to the left to enable) > Security > WPA2 PSK > Save. Hope this helps.
GhostKitsune
Student
Options

That's fine once your device is connected, but you have to undo that option, connect your device, go back in and reselect it. If it's already activated when you turn it on, you can't find your hotspot. Allowed devices was so much easier for my own peace of mind I could switch mobile hotspot on n just not have to worry about someone trying to leech off my mobile data. The new way is such a faff. (My devices include a Switch and a laptop... Not exactly going to auto connect with that option on...)

kororaa
Apprentice
Options

I couldn't agree more.  Loss of the allowed devices / MAC filter is a major and definite setback.  Why??

kororaa
Apprentice
Options

And to be clear, this isn't necessarily a data security issue, but a usage management issue.  My (limited) hotspot is the only connection for my work and my PS4.  MAC filter is the easiest way to keep data hungry devices at bay.

Allowed_devices
First Poster
Options
It sucks! Allowed devices was an amazing feature of Samsung phones' hotspot.They should get it back in upcoming updates
mujahid8488
First Poster
Options

Im using Samsung A51 with android 10 . Its hotspot not showing in my laptop but with other devices working good. whats wrong with hotspot.

First Poster
Options

This is the worst change ever. The "Allowed Devices Only" feature worked like a charm.

orlandolabz
First Poster
Options

come on please bring back that option, that was a great feature

Jeck
First Poster
Options

Check yr hostpost option and change it back to visible state.

0 Likes