Support

Open search

Factory Reset after region unlock?

SOLVED
First Poster

Hello,

I was wondering if factory reseting the device can region lock the device again after using 5min call to unlock the region lock. As far as i know it should stay unlocked. Still i want to be 100% sure.

Please help if you have any info regarding this.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @nsabir. :robothappy:

With there being a wide number of variables out there, no one can give you  a 100% guarantee, but from a strictly Samsung point-of-view, a Factory Reset on its own shouldn't affect the regional lock.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Hi @nsabir. :robothappy:

With there being a wide number of variables out there, no one can give you  a 100% guarantee, but from a strictly Samsung point-of-view, a Factory Reset on its own shouldn't affect the regional lock.

View solution in original post

First Poster

Hi I also have this issue and I'm not sure the answer is clear. I bought a Galaxy S8 in Germany and took it to Russia (which is outside the region). I already unlocked it in Germany.

When I put in a Russian SIM, the phone gave me a message I won't be able to "use all provider features" until I factory reset the phone. I didn't do it, and most things seem to work normally, but I'm noticing little problems that are starting to add up, like the date/time won't auto update, Samsung Pay won't work at all and Google Pay won't work in stores. 

I am worried if I do a hard reset then the regional lock will be restored and I won't be able to use the phone at all.

Any advice? 

Hi @RickyT683. Samsung Pay is designed to be used in the region the phone was manufactured for which could explain the issues. 

Aha. That's disappointing from Samsung. Well, they are only hurting themselves with these regional restrictions. Something I would expect from Apple.

Well, if anyone has an idea about whether a hard reset would re-lock my phone to Europe region again (which obviously, I don't want), I'd really appreciate it. I guess someone already answered the original post, just wondering if there are any other experiences doing it.

Hi,

@I also bought my samsung note 8 phone in germany, and i unlock the region lock in there. I am using the phone in Turkey for 3 months and did not have any problem. But i transferred my phone number to another operator, and they gave me another SIM, but when i use it, it gives the warning that factory reset is needed to work out the SIM, but i am not sure that whether the region lock will be appear again. So, do you find out anything @RickyT683?

@RickyT683 wrote:

Aha. That's disappointing from Samsung. Well, they are only hurting themselves with these regional restrictions. Something I would expect from Apple.

Well, if anyone has an idea about whether a hard reset would re-lock my phone to Europe region again (which obviously, I don't want), I'd really appreciate it. I guess someone already answered the original post, just wondering if there are any other experiences doing it.

Hi Nurrun,

Sounds like the same thing as on my phone. No, I haven't found out anything for sure. Since the phone works fine except a few features, I decided to wait until I take another trip to Europe (probably in the next month or two). I will reset it here before I leave and if it locks, I can just unlock it again in Europe. If I remember I'll come back here and report what happened. 

Top Liked Authors