Support

Open search

Delayed notifications issue affecting all range of Samsung devices since at least half a year.

Highlighted
First Poster

Hello,

Introduction:

Currently ALL newer flagship models are affected by delayed notification issue for at least past 6+ months,  which started happening after around may 2018. Most devices are affected such as: S7, S8, S9, Note 9 and similar.

This is related to "doze" feature of android phone, where samsung optimization whitelist options are not working correctly thus affecting almost all samsung phones.

The issue  is reproduced during following scenario:

1. User locks phone, waits around 5m

2. App sends notification (which is not marked as PRIORITY in google push services).

3. User does not get notification

4. User unlocks phone, and suddenly multiple "delayed" notifications arrive.

Multiple users has reported the issue and tried various workarounds such as:

- Disabling battery optimization for certain apps

- Disabling all battery optimization options

- Making sure "WIFI" connection is always maintaned, even during sleep mode

- Making sure DATA connection is always maintaned

- Restoring device to factory

- Totally replacing devices with new ones.

- Wiping cache and similar

There is currently only one temporarly solution working, which is disabling doze using adb console. This workaround is temporarly and works until next reboot. It requires setting phone to debug mode and connecting to it.

"adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable"

Samsung reaction:

Samsung is totally ignoring the technical issue since at least 6 months or more. There are multiple threads all over the web about such problem existing. Examples:

1. https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S8-Questions-and-Answers/Delayed-notifications/td-p/11494...

2. https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-9/911157-push-notification-delay-when-screen-o...

3. https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s8-and-s8-plus/886249-help-delayed-notifications.ht...

4. https://forums.androidcentral.com/android-pie/904647-notifications-delayed-stopped-5.html

5. https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s9-s9-plus/891659-s9-plus-delayed-notifications-can...

6. https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-9/906887-delays-notifications.html

Implications:

The issue is making phone totally unusuable for people who rely on instant notifications, such as alerts related to financial services like declining stock rates and similar. I dont understand why such critical thing like delivering notifications in time is totally ignored by samsung. The issue is not present on any other android phones.

Request:

If you have ability to contact someone of samsung development team, please forward this thread to make sure there will be finally reaction. Please reply to this thread if you have same issue.

344 REPLIES 344
Highlighted

This is the post I followed.

https://community.smartthings.com/t/android-smartthings-classic-slow-notifications/137441/41

All the links still seem active too, so that's good.  As long as you know how to use a command prompt, you can do it.  Download the tool.  Turn on Developer Mode/USB Debugging, which comes from clicking a number 7 times and is like a cool Easter egg in and of itself.  After that and just every time, I have those tools in a folder on my desktop, and a text file with my 3 lines to paste into a command prompt.  I should turn those into a batch file, huh?

cd Desktop/downloads/phone/platform-tools (the path where I put the tool, your path may vary)
adb devices (here it will ask for confirmation on your phone that it's okay to connect)
adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable  (this does the deed)

And that's it.  Again, this only works until you reboot the phone.  Not sure why they won't add a system setting to do this

Now, if THIS doesn't fix your phone... I don't know.  Out of all the suggestions in this massive thread, this is the only thing that works for me.  If it doesn't work for you, I don't know what else you can try.

Highlighted

Much appreciated and hope this solves.  Think I will fire off a letter to CEO of Samsung complaining about this issue and see if they will resolve.

Highlighted
Apprentice
Sent the letter below to CEO, VP of Customer Care, etc. today.  Will post back when they respond.

Hello,

I would greatly appreciate you looking into this issue with slow notifications on all flagship Samsung Phones from Note 9 to Note 20 Ultra.  The issue of delayed notifications is
clearly documented here in Samsung Owners Forums.

Recently I upgraded from Note 8 to a $1,299 Note 20 Ultra and now I get up to a 90 minute delay on receiving a notification on my $1,300 phone.  Nothing fixes this issue
except when I turn on Developer Options and Manually Disable Doze Mode for my phone as described above. 

It appears from the threads in the Samsung forums that this issue has been ongoing for years with Samsung Phones with no resolution.

Can you please allocate some resources to address this issue so Samsung customers do not have this ongoing issue of slow notifications?
Highlighted
Apprentice

Got a call from Support today and sent them this thread with your summary.   They said they would be escalating this issue and would follow up via email.  Hope they take this seriously and resolve.

Highlighted

If it works, you'll be a hero to 1000s!

Highlighted
Apprentice

Of course the agent said that her family all uses Galaxy phones and never has notification issues and was surprised to see these threads with the issue.  Hard to tell when a text,fb notification is delayed so could see where you would not notice.  However, when you are getting notifications from cameras which are time stamped it is easy to see the issue. Yesterday rec'd all notification from cameras instantly up till 5PM. Then started seeing 60-90 minutes delays after 5PM.  Turned off the doze with ADB developer and so far no more issues since late last night.

Highlighted

That's so awesome.  Thanks!  AND the ADB works for you?  Even more awesome.  Finally some good news in 2020.

Highlighted

Hi,

I have a Samsung Note 10+

I have the issues of severely delayed notifications, and Google Play being stuck at "Downloading" when installing or updating apps.

If I turn bluetooth off and reboot, everything work until I turn the bluetooth back on.

I have seen threads going back YEARS on this issue.

After paying through the nose for this phone (electronics are about the double the price in Australia, compared to the US), this is not acceptable!

I have interacted with Samsung support on multiple occasions, and it is a joke. One of the occasions has been regarding the AKG700 headphones that came with this phone, since they stopped recharging! Even after contacting the CEO office, the issue is not handled properly, and a $500 worth headphones is a paper-weight now...

I'll most likely go back to Pixel phones, as I was very happy with my previous Pixel. It is such a shame that such a good hardware from Samsung is made unusable by its incompetent software team.

Just to let you know, there's one more infuriated guy, living in down under, who is about to throw his phone out the window.

Cheers.

Highlighted

Yes, I believe this is a bluetooth issue and saw some posts that it impacts all Android, not just Samsung. I fixed this issue previously on my Note 10+ by going through the process of identifying which bluetooth device was causing the delay.

Have a look here: https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s9-s9/delayed-notifications-issue-affecting-all-range-of-... 

Mine was caused by windows dynamic lock, a plantronic bluetooth and yeelock.

I just switched to Note20 Ultra and the issue has returned. I haven't gone through the process of looking for the problematic bluetooth device as I am looking to do a full reset of the phone as am having some battery issue since switching to the Note20. Been suggested that Samsung Smart Switch might have caused the battery issue, so am planning to reset and not restore. Hoping that will resolve the battery issue and I will spend time working out the delay/bluetooth issues after that as well.

P/s: I'm from down under as well...

Highlighted
First Poster

Any updates? 

Got a galaxy a21s and its awesome except notifications from my gmail emails dont come through after 10 mins of being in standby mode. 

It was even worse on the gmail app and the outlook app. So I installed spark and it's much better, emails come through when using the phone and even when its been on standby for less than 10 minutes.

Only had the phone 3 weeks and I'm sure it never used to do this,  maybe another app is causing it or is it doze mode not allowing emails through? 

I really hope this gets solved 

I might try the command line to disable doze.

Top Liked Authors