Support

Open search

Delayed notifications issue affecting all range of Samsung devices since at least half a year.

Highlighted
First Poster

Hello,

Introduction:

Currently ALL newer flagship models are affected by delayed notification issue for at least past 6+ months,  which started happening after around may 2018. Most devices are affected such as: S7, S8, S9, Note 9 and similar.

This is related to "doze" feature of android phone, where samsung optimization whitelist options are not working correctly thus affecting almost all samsung phones.

The issue  is reproduced during following scenario:

1. User locks phone, waits around 5m

2. App sends notification (which is not marked as PRIORITY in google push services).

3. User does not get notification

4. User unlocks phone, and suddenly multiple "delayed" notifications arrive.

Multiple users has reported the issue and tried various workarounds such as:

- Disabling battery optimization for certain apps

- Disabling all battery optimization options

- Making sure "WIFI" connection is always maintaned, even during sleep mode

- Making sure DATA connection is always maintaned

- Restoring device to factory

- Totally replacing devices with new ones.

- Wiping cache and similar

There is currently only one temporarly solution working, which is disabling doze using adb console. This workaround is temporarly and works until next reboot. It requires setting phone to debug mode and connecting to it.

"adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable"

Samsung reaction:

Samsung is totally ignoring the technical issue since at least 6 months or more. There are multiple threads all over the web about such problem existing. Examples:

1. https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S8-Questions-and-Answers/Delayed-notifications/td-p/11494...

2. https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-9/911157-push-notification-delay-when-screen-o...

3. https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s8-and-s8-plus/886249-help-delayed-notifications.ht...

4. https://forums.androidcentral.com/android-pie/904647-notifications-delayed-stopped-5.html

5. https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s9-s9-plus/891659-s9-plus-delayed-notifications-can...

6. https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-9/906887-delays-notifications.html

Implications:

The issue is making phone totally unusuable for people who rely on instant notifications, such as alerts related to financial services like declining stock rates and similar. I dont understand why such critical thing like delivering notifications in time is totally ignored by samsung. The issue is not present on any other android phones.

Request:

If you have ability to contact someone of samsung development team, please forward this thread to make sure there will be finally reaction. Please reply to this thread if you have same issue.

344 REPLIES 344
Highlighted

Samsung messages or Google messages? All notifications?

Highlighted

For me, it's standard SMS text messages.  Those are the only alerts I really get.  After putting the phone down and waiting 5 minutes or so, it won't alert me until I pick up the phone or sometimes randomly on its own 10 or 30 minutes later.  I turned off all battery management, tried the WakeLock, and nothing helps.  I might try this soft reset because it probably can't HURT anything.  It's just an annoyance.  It's not like it affects my job or anything, but sometimes I miss a car chase because my Twitter alert doesn't come through in a timely manner.  Something in there tells it to stop checking for messages for a while.  Most everybody seems to have found a solution in this thread eventually, but none of them have worked for me.  Maybe Spectrum Mobile put something on here that's also a problem.

Highlighted
Explorer

I think I have it figured out. But it is possible this is just my use case. First off, I have the US Unlocked Note 10 on Straight Talk (T-Mobile Sim). I also have a Galaxy S10 and used to have a Note 9 and GS8+. All of those phones have had this delayed notification issue. I also used to have a Pixel 2XL and LG G8; they had the issue as well. So my theory wasn't google services or battery optimizations; it was an app causing the problem. 

So I started looking into different apps to see what might be the issue. After much trial and error (looking at the Wyze app, Ring, Google, Play services, Samsung services/health/device, etc) I found out it was something I sideloaded to each one of those phones I mentioned above. It was YoutubeVanced and the MicroG services you install alongside YouTubeVanced so you can log in. The reason I caught this was I was looking in the device maintenance section and in one place (I forget exactly how to get there) it showed the MicroG services had failed multiple times a day every single day! If that isn't a red flag then I don't know what is.

So I uninstalled YoutubeVanced....not 2 seconds later I got several notifications all at once. Then, I uninstalled MicroG services and more notifications came pouring in. Needless to say I found my problem.

UNINSTALL MICROG SERVICES AND YOUTUBEVANCED IF YOU HAVE IT! This will fix it!

Now, I also noticed my galaxy watch active 2 was acting up. I would hit the refresh button on the watch for the weather widget and it would never refresh (it pulls the data from your phone). I had another app called Toggles that provides information about your phone on your watch that also wouldn't update. Several reboots and other things tried later and nothing worked. The refresh button on the weather would work eventually but it would take upwards of an hour before it would update. One last thing, the 'check for updates' for the watch firmware button on the phone wouldn't work right away either; it would take hours before it would actually check and show me the message about an update or not. 

Guess what? Uninstalling YouTubeVanced and MicroG services fixed it! Removing those two apps fixed everything for me. If you are using these apps remove them immediately and you will see results.

I have secure folder installed along with my Google app active in case anyone is wondering. Hit me up if you have any questions about my setup; I would love to help because this was irritating me to no end so I feel all of your frustration. 

Highlighted

@mtweisenbarger, thanks!  I'm DEEPLY interested in this line of research.  While I don't have this MicroG or YouTube app installed, but it's easy to believe more than one app might do something like that.  My Samsung S9 doesn't seem to show events openly, so I'm not sure how you got to that, but I've triggered the *#9900#  sysdump tool, turned up the logger, and then asked my friend to send me some texts later to fail.  Maybe I can see something in those files failing and locking things up for a while.  Like how some people have success removing Samsung Health.

Highlighted

If you could figure how you got to that maintenance section.. Would be really greatful.. 

Could it be under 'device care'...'App issue history'? 

I might have to wait a few days as I force stop and cleared storage for Device care, which seems to have helped a bit for me.. 

@mtweisenbarger wrote:

I think I have it figured out. But it is possible this is just my use case. First off, I have the US Unlocked Note 10 on Straight Talk (T-Mobile Sim). I also have a Galaxy S10 and used to have a Note 9 and GS8+. All of those phones have had this delayed notification issue. I also used to have a Pixel 2XL and LG G8; they had the issue as well. So my theory wasn't google services or battery optimizations; it was an app causing the problem. 

So I started looking into different apps to see what might be the issue. After much trial and error (looking at the Wyze app, Ring, Google, Play services, Samsung services/health/device, etc) I found out it was something I sideloaded to each one of those phones I mentioned above. It was YoutubeVanced and the MicroG services you install alongside YouTubeVanced so you can log in. The reason I caught this was I was looking in the device maintenance section and in one place (I forget exactly how to get there) it showed the MicroG services had failed multiple times a day every single day! If that isn't a red flag then I don't know what is.

So I uninstalled YoutubeVanced....not 2 seconds later I got several notifications all at once. Then, I uninstalled MicroG services and more notifications came pouring in. Needless to say I found my problem.

UNINSTALL MICROG SERVICES AND YOUTUBEVANCED IF YOU HAVE IT! This will fix it!

Now, I also noticed my galaxy watch active 2 was acting up. I would hit the refresh button on the watch for the weather widget and it would never refresh (it pulls the data from your phone). I had another app called Toggles that provides information about your phone on your watch that also wouldn't update. Several reboots and other things tried later and nothing worked. The refresh button on the weather would work eventually but it would take upwards of an hour before it would update. One last thing, the 'check for updates' for the watch firmware button on the phone wouldn't work right away either; it would take hours before it would actually check and show me the message about an update or not. 

Guess what? Uninstalling YouTubeVanced and MicroG services fixed it! Removing those two apps fixed everything for me. If you are using these apps remove them immediately and you will see results.

I have secure folder installed along with my Google app active in case anyone is wondering. Hit me up if you have any questions about my setup; I would love to help because this was irritating me to no end so I feel all of your frustration. 

Highlighted

So, I THINK I see what he's talking about.  Under Device Care, click the 3 dots and there's "App issue history".  I don't know how I never saw that, but I only have a Beats error from a year ago.  I did a little more investigation on my phone today, including dumping the log.  For me, it doesn't show any errors.  Nothing in particular wakes it up.  It just every 10 minutes or so now finally decides to check for messages.  I can see it dreaming in the log.  This is when it woke up for no reason.

12-10 14:15:44.022 2346 D BatteryService: Sending ACTION_BATTERY_CHANGED. scale:100, info:{.chargerAcOnline = false, .chargerUsbOnline = false, .chargerWirelessOnline = false, .maxChargingCurrent = 0, .maxChargingVoltage = 0, .batteryStatus = DISCHARGING, .batteryHealth = GOOD, .batteryPresent = true, .batteryLevel = 42, .batteryVoltage = 3784, .batteryTemperature = 223, .batteryCurrent = 0, .batteryCycleCount = 0, .batteryFullCharge = 3000000, .batteryChargeCounter = 1223350, .batteryTechnology = Li-ion}

12-10 14:18:22.074 1521 D PowerManagerService: handleSandman : stopDream

Nothing told it to wake up.  It just woke up 10 minutes after my friend sent the text.  Next up, I did the developer mode, and tried this dumpsys...

adb devices
adb shell dumpsys deviceidle whitelist +com.samsung.android.oneconnect

But I don't think OneConnect is my problem.  Tomorrow, I may try...

1. adb devices
  2. adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable

And see if that temporarily fixes it.  Supposedly that only lasts until reboot though.

Highlighted
It looks like my excitement upon my latest discovery was ill-founded. So after about 15 minutes or so the issue came back which was weird because it was working fine for over an hour. So I decided to think more outside the box (I'm a Quality Assurance Analyst by trade so it made sense to do this) and look around the environment to see what might be causing this. I noticed that this tended to only happen when I'm around something; my work laptop. I use the Link to Windows functionality but I didn't think it was that because it uses wifi direct which I just didn't see being an issue. But I decided to disable it on my pc and remove my account (also disable on the phone) none the less. Bear in mind that I still have the Google app-enabled fully enabled and my Galaxy Watch Active 2 still connected to my Note 10.

So after trying this for a bit it still wasn't working. Then I thought about it long and hard and tried to remember when this started to happen. It took me most of the night but I finally figured it out; it was when I started messing around with the Bluetooth on my work laptop and more specifically the "Dynamic Lock" feature on Windows 10. The Dynamic Lock feature basically connects your PC's Bluetooth to your phone's Bluetooth and if you take your phone away from your pc (it's like 10 feet or so) then your pc will automatically lock. It sort of acts like an NFC tag only with Bluetooth. So I disconnected the "Dynamic Lock" service in Windows 10 settings AND disabled the Bluetooth on my work laptop (just for good measure) and BOOM that did it. I haven't had one single issue since doing this (I've been testing for over 2 hours so I think it's legitimate). Nothing is getting backed up, all notifications are coming through immediately (yes I'm still using link to windows as well), google play store updates/installs are happening right away (as opposed to them sitting at 99% or 100% and just not doing anything after that), my smartwatch is functioning just as it should, etc, etc.

I realize my previous post says it was fixed by removing MicroG services and YoutubeVanced but I was wrong and I apologize for jumping the gun. I re-installed both apps and still have no issues so it wasn't those (must have been a coincidence of some sort; I was on lunch when I removed them and my work laptop was far away at that time so it makes sense).

Hopefully, this can provide some assistance for some of you out there. I'm guessing too many (or too complex?) Bluetooth connections are the problem.
Highlighted

you claim victory too early. there is nothing wrong about microg and vance youtube on my side. try clearing google play service data and cache and let see how it goes.

Highlighted
Yes as I posted above I was wrong about microg and youtubevanced. I've tried clearing google play services (google everything really) cache and data many times and never does anything.
Highlighted

My phone is working GREAT today, but only because I did the...

adb devices
adb shell dumpsys deviceidle disable

And it's my understanding that only lasts until you reboot.  I need to figure out how to make that permanent or figure out which app needs whitelisting like...

adb shell dumpsys deviceidle whitelist +com.samsung.android.oneconnect

So that notifications can come through.  I might go as far as researching what it means to root a phone and auto-run that script on start-up, because I LOVE getting my notifications right away.  This is how life should be!

Top Liked Authors