Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 10 update kills Daydream compatibility

(Topic created on: 01-02-2020 05:03 PM)
GinKage
Apprentice
Options

Just like that, without any notice or warning, Daydream no longer works on my S9+.

The same applies to S9 and Note 9, which used to be perfectly compatible with Daydream, but now all you get is this:

Screenshot_20200201-111142_Daydream.jpg

Note that the scene behind this dialog window is actually perfectly rendered, and the phone itself is using the "low motion-blur" screen mode.

The problem is, in Android 8 and Android 9, these phones have defined a system flag "android.hardware.vr.high_performance", which is no longer defined on Android 10.
This is a Samsung-specific problem, as Pixel phones running Android 10 can still use Daydream perfectly (as reported in this Reddit thread).

Hopefully Samsung will be able to get around to fix this problem in a future system update, as it only requires them to add a single xml file to the system image...

248 REPLIES 248
Wreckronomicon
Explorer
Options

Several weeks later and still no update. I recieved an update today that also seemed to kill a workaround (not very useful but got the app working in VR). Contacted support who just said "Send an error report". Getting quite annoyed now.

quattro
First Poster
Options

The same in Germany. Recieved Android 10 today. Youtube VR does not work anymore. Cant download the APP, can not download Daydream from Playstore. Should i really throw my Daydream Headstet away? Honest Samsung? Fix it quick. And do not roll out Updates to the masses that are not tested. Seems it have beta quality.

Leader2light
Explorer
Options

Samsung must fix this.  Note 9, S9, S9 plus are all hurt by it.  Do the right thing!  In this day and age of waste, is this company really going to make customers throw out a perfectly working VR headset all because they cannot be bothered to add in the correct software flag?  Disgusting if true.  

Mike7998
First Poster
Options

This is terrible.  I really hope samsung fixes this issue.  

Krxx
Apprentice
Options

If I only knew about it sooner.. System upgraded today and guess what: no more DayDream 😠
After owning Note 1 and 3, S7, S8 and now S9+, maybe my next phone will not be Samsung.

ViniMacnicol
Journeyman
Options

I specificaly  bought an S9 because its compatibility to Daydream. And here in Brasil this model is very expensive. And now they do this to us. I wonder if lack of respect and attention to their clients is now part of such a renowned  company's mission and values...

danbryant
Apprentice
Options

Just found this has happened to my S9 as well 😞 is there a work around yet?

Wreckronomicon
Explorer
Options

There is only one workaround but it requires rooting your phone which will void your warranty and trip Knox but I can at least confirm that it works.

0 Likes
hks1
Journeyman
Options

Samsung please make it a priority to fix this problem asap. Major problem with the Android 10 patch. Please fix now!

danbryant
Apprentice
Options

Any more info on how to do that would be appreciated, a link or anything? Cheers