Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 10 update kills Daydream compatibility

(Topic created on: 27-08-2020 09:52 PM)
GinKage
Apprentice
Options

Just like that, without any notice or warning, Daydream no longer works on my S9+.

The same applies to S9 and Note 9, which used to be perfectly compatible with Daydream, but now all you get is this:

Screenshot_20200201-111142_Daydream.jpg

Note that the scene behind this dialog window is actually perfectly rendered, and the phone itself is using the "low motion-blur" screen mode.

The problem is, in Android 8 and Android 9, these phones have defined a system flag "android.hardware.vr.high_performance", which is no longer defined on Android 10.
This is a Samsung-specific problem, as Pixel phones running Android 10 can still use Daydream perfectly (as reported in this Reddit thread).

Hopefully Samsung will be able to get around to fix this problem in a future system update, as it only requires them to add a single xml file to the system image...

248 REPLIES 248
Yatomd
Explorer
Options

Google DayDream web site still shows Galaxy devises as being compatible with google daydream. 

samsung is directly involved as it has allowed its devices to be presented on google's daydream website. 

this is clearly evident by the logo and ip of samsung displayed therein (https://arvr.google.com/daydream/smartphonevr/phones/). 

this is an intentional misleading and misrepresentation. 

this is a breach of consumer protection legislation in almost all commonealth countries. 

it is time to go legal on them. 

i urge you to approach each of the consumer protection authority in your respective territories and have them approach your local google/Samsung representatives (where applicable).

Go to website and grab a screenshot as proof. 

S9own4736
Journeyman
Options
well my 3 month old support ticket goes unanswered and I'm back to using cardboard apps where available. I'm not impressed Samsung and you can stop trying to sell me your knew phone. I see this as a real violation of trust and won't be bringing any business your way in the future.
ComplianceDev
Explorer
Options

as we get more people here, we get a larger army

Sign the petition
http://chng.it/WQnjVKHvVv

Class action lawsuit, anyone?

Bump this post everyday or we lose this war

S9own4736
Journeyman
Options
they were thinking they would force us all onto their gear platform and make a few more bucks out of us. this was no accident but a delibrate and cynical exploitation of their control over the platform.

I've had a Samsung phone since the original galaxy but thanks to this dick move, the s9+ is going to be my final phone. in fact I intend to boycott all Samsung products in the future.

this is truly shameful.
S9own4736
Journeyman
Options
Since Samsung are roundly ignoring us all lets try petitioning Google to make one final simple modification to daydream for us and give the option to turn off compatibility checks.
MrPaul
Apprentice
Options

I am with you 100%

0 Likes
JerryR
Explorer
Options

Good luck. Google support is as bad as Samsung's.

If you check earlier in this thread, we already contacted Google. They blame Samsung and won't do anything. Samsung blames Google.

Neither company cares even if it costs them money.

0 Likes
montout
First Poster
Options

bump

0 Likes
JoeBagodonuts
Student
Options

Someone pointed out to me that the Google Daydream page still lists the phone as supposed. I came back to this thread just to say Samsung can stick it where the sun doesn't shine. Most uninterruptible company ever. I hope the board goes to jail for something and the company folds. Pirates, all of them.

0 Likes
yandu
Apprentice
Options
0 Likes