Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 10 update kills Daydream compatibility

(Topic created on: 18-06-2020 02:36 PM)
GinKage
Apprentice
Options

Just like that, without any notice or warning, Daydream no longer works on my S9+.

The same applies to S9 and Note 9, which used to be perfectly compatible with Daydream, but now all you get is this:

Screenshot_20200201-111142_Daydream.jpg

Note that the scene behind this dialog window is actually perfectly rendered, and the phone itself is using the "low motion-blur" screen mode.

The problem is, in Android 8 and Android 9, these phones have defined a system flag "android.hardware.vr.high_performance", which is no longer defined on Android 10.
This is a Samsung-specific problem, as Pixel phones running Android 10 can still use Daydream perfectly (as reported in this Reddit thread).

Hopefully Samsung will be able to get around to fix this problem in a future system update, as it only requires them to add a single xml file to the system image...

248 REPLIES 248
ComplianceDev
Explorer
Options

If there is a non-root solution, please share for sure.

Sign the petition
http://chng.it/WQnjVKHvVv

Class action lawsuit, anyone?

Bump this post everyday or we lose this war.

Wreckronomicon
Explorer
Options

The closest effort for non-rooted phones I've come across is this:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=75762313&postcount=12

It does bypass the check but is super buggy and a lot of apps don't work but that may be due to the age of the post, you can try compiling your own, newer version but I wouldn't expect miracles.

Robinl
Pioneer
Options

Still nothing from Samsung crooks...

One UI 2.1 is rolling out. Anybody tried with this version ?

ComplianceDev
Explorer
Options
No Daydream remote with this option which is the whole point.

Sign the petition
http://chng.it/WQnjVKHvVv

Class action lawsuit, anyone?

Bump this post everyday or we lose this war
ComplianceDev
Explorer
Options
I received an update10 days ago and still nothing.
0 Likes
OLLOPOLLO
Journeyman
Options

Me too, no change no daydream. I bought my daydream to watch 360° content from my insta360 and now I have to buy a Oculus Go. Samsung stole my 60 € !! ; (

0 Likes
MrPaul
Apprentice
Options

Save your receipt I feel like anything we have to buy, Samsung should have to pay for it I feel like taking them to small claims court for what we have to buy to make up for what they did

0 Likes
OLLOPOLLO
Journeyman
Options

Yes thats a good idea, we could claim the cost for buying another VR system.

Is there a lawyer in this community ?

0 Likes
Caden
Apprentice
Options

I will write a letter to them and mail it it via usps.  I will include the link from this forum to show them our concerns and frustrations. I already said it before if Samsung doesn't fix this I will stop buying Samsung products in the future. 

gotovamsee
Student
Options
I support this
0 Likes