Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 10 update kills Daydream compatibility

(Topic created on: 04-05-2020 10:31 AM)
GinKage
Apprentice
Options

Just like that, without any notice or warning, Daydream no longer works on my S9+.

The same applies to S9 and Note 9, which used to be perfectly compatible with Daydream, but now all you get is this:

Screenshot_20200201-111142_Daydream.jpg

Note that the scene behind this dialog window is actually perfectly rendered, and the phone itself is using the "low motion-blur" screen mode.

The problem is, in Android 8 and Android 9, these phones have defined a system flag "android.hardware.vr.high_performance", which is no longer defined on Android 10.
This is a Samsung-specific problem, as Pixel phones running Android 10 can still use Daydream perfectly (as reported in this Reddit thread).

Hopefully Samsung will be able to get around to fix this problem in a future system update, as it only requires them to add a single xml file to the system image...

248 REPLIES 248
ComplianceDev
Explorer
Options

Putting my daily reminder that I still care about this issue. I recommend that everyone else do this every couple of days to keep this at the top of the forums.

If anyone is a lawyer. We are all interested in a Class Action Lawsuit.

0 Likes
Antopgl
Voyager
Options

I'm interested in it too ... I also bought Google daydream and now I can't use it anymore after the update ..... I spent money on this and ignoble to take away the possibility to continue using it!

Yatomd
Explorer
Options

I suggest we first approach the customer protection authority. Maybe best if we include a list of individuals who have been affected by this issue. Who is with me? 

0 Likes
ComplianceDev
Explorer
Options

I am in on this. I have only just gotten my VR half a year ago. I have a small place and Netflix on the big screen was great!

0 Likes
FrankKj
Apprentice
Options

How should we make this list in practice ? - I am very much in for this  !!!! - Is anyone for a dedicated webside or could we make the list here (whats up admin !?) - Or is this forum no point ?

0 Likes
heathervienna
First Poster
Options

God, I literally bought my Daydream headset a few days before Android 10 came out. Got to use it once. Bought this phone specifically for the Daydream compatibility. If I had known they couldn't be bothered to fix an issue that costs them nothing in either time or money and would rather ignore their customers, I would have gotten a Google Phone. Samsung has lost so much integrity.

Kristofferek
Student
Options
Pleeeeaaassse, Samsung fix this asap!!!
Kristofferek
Student
Options
I actually cannot believe how my Samsung phone is getting worse and worse with each update. I use to be able to take 360 pictures, now I can't anymore. And I use to be able to use my day dream headset, now I can't anymore. Time to switch to Google pixel maybe.
Bboxer
Journeyman
Options

I'm making a Change.org petition, will update this post with the link asap.

Edit- Here it is!

http://chng.it/28bZyFXdzp

Bboxer
Journeyman
Options
Same here, could have bought an s10e for 50 more dollars..