Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 10 update kills Daydream compatibility

(Topic created on: 29-04-2020 06:47 AM)
GinKage
Apprentice
Options

Just like that, without any notice or warning, Daydream no longer works on my S9+.

The same applies to S9 and Note 9, which used to be perfectly compatible with Daydream, but now all you get is this:

Screenshot_20200201-111142_Daydream.jpg

Note that the scene behind this dialog window is actually perfectly rendered, and the phone itself is using the "low motion-blur" screen mode.

The problem is, in Android 8 and Android 9, these phones have defined a system flag "android.hardware.vr.high_performance", which is no longer defined on Android 10.
This is a Samsung-specific problem, as Pixel phones running Android 10 can still use Daydream perfectly (as reported in this Reddit thread).

Hopefully Samsung will be able to get around to fix this problem in a future system update, as it only requires them to add a single xml file to the system image...

248 REPLIES 248
ComplianceDev
Explorer
Options

The question is WHY don't they want to include the ONE LINE OF XML CODE to allow the devices to work together? We are in quarrantine, Samsung!!! Please let us get out in the world at least virtually!!!

People are just looking for ways to stay happy and this isn't it!

Yatomd
Explorer
Options
How does this have anything to do with it. I don't care. I purchase the device with the understanding that it will operate on my phone. I actually operated it on my phone and for some reason it stopped operating. This is a misrepresentation. I paid good money for the device there is no reason why it shouldn't work on a software that I have already installed in my device. I paid $70 to purchase the Daydream and it's now worthless. I want my money back from Samsung.
Yatomd
Explorer
Options

Hey f****** from Samsung. Here is your daily reminder f******. My Google Daydream still doesn't work because of your update f******. You are still f******. This is the last time I will purchase any Samsung device you f******. No response you f****** and if you didn't get the drift then you're still f******.

0 Likes
hks1
Journeyman
Options

Any news if UI 2.1 fixes this major issue? I am going to flash my phone to Pie if not

0 Likes
S9OG
Apprentice
Options

Yeah, I think the only option is to root the phone and edit the file yourself. 

ViniMacnicol
Journeyman
Options

Was ONE UI 2.1 released?

0 Likes
JerryR
Explorer
Options

I've asked people with the beta or who have flashed the final version manually, but haven't gotten a response. I'm keeping  my Note 9 on Pie until I know for sure.

hks1
Journeyman
Options

No one knows if Samsung will fix this with the UI 2.1 update.  I successfully downgraded to Pie--really didn't think UI 2.0 brought anything of value as far as my end user experience.  Hopefully Samsung will recognize that adding simple code can fix the Daydream problem on it's phones.  Until they are capable to fix this I will stay on Pie.  Samsung your end users are calling on you to please resolve this issue.  From now on I will rely on custom roms from the community that include the ability to continue to be able to use Daydream on my S9+ should I consider upgrading the system. Samsung you have failed the people who own your phone.

Yatomd
Explorer
Options

Hey f****** ***** from Samsung. This is God knows what's number of message that I left here. This is your daily reminder of how you screwed up the experience for thousands of Daydream users. Simple people using chat can understand that introducing a simple code to your software will result this but you do nothing about it. This is because you are f****** and because you are sons of b******. F****** useless individuals. Last time I buy Samsung.

0 Likes
robsutherland
First Poster
Options

This is ridiculous. The only reason I bought this phone instead of a different one was daydream support. It is one thing to not add it to new phones. But you can't take it away from existing phones, especially when all it takes for it to work is a couple lines of xml.

0 Likes