Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 10 update kills Daydream compatibility

(Topic created on: 25-04-2020 09:52 AM)
GinKage
Apprentice
Options

Just like that, without any notice or warning, Daydream no longer works on my S9+.

The same applies to S9 and Note 9, which used to be perfectly compatible with Daydream, but now all you get is this:

Screenshot_20200201-111142_Daydream.jpg

Note that the scene behind this dialog window is actually perfectly rendered, and the phone itself is using the "low motion-blur" screen mode.

The problem is, in Android 8 and Android 9, these phones have defined a system flag "android.hardware.vr.high_performance", which is no longer defined on Android 10.
This is a Samsung-specific problem, as Pixel phones running Android 10 can still use Daydream perfectly (as reported in this Reddit thread).

Hopefully Samsung will be able to get around to fix this problem in a future system update, as it only requires them to add a single xml file to the system image...

248 REPLIES 248
JerryR
Explorer
Options

I have a Note 9, not an S9. But the Android 10 disabled Daydream on Note 9, too. I used the Sammobile forums and they told me what firmware I needed.

The bootloader on my Note 9 didn't change when I updated to Android 10. I don't think that's the case with the S9. I'm not sure it can be downgraded.

Yatomd
Explorer
Options

Samsung, 

I don't know what the hell. You did but from reading this thread and the hundereda of other Tra ***** online to this same issue I have no one to blame but you. Whatever you did destroyed my ability to use my day dream with my galaxy s9 plus - a phone which is clearly compatible with the daydream.

What the hell did you do? 

Fix this!!!!

Fix this. 

People paid money for the daydream and because of you they can no longer use it. 

Yatomd
Explorer
Options

Fix this!!!!!!!! You broke it, you pay for it!!!!! Fix this or this is the last time I am buying samsung

proteas78
Journeyman
Options

hello ...another issue i came across today....no external camera support through usb...quick ...lets get back to android 9!!!!

And there is still no answer for the original matter ...neither anything official between samsung and google...they just dont care...i am going to get my phone to the nearest samsung service and demand to get it back to android 9 and thats it!!!! 

Antopgl
Voyager
Options

Samsung s9 plus is still currently one of the most complete phones on the market .... the reason why I have been using it for almost 2 years without changing it is this .... but now with android 10 you have removed the support for the daydream which is a peripheral and the games that we all paid for! we spent money because s9 was compatible we have used it for years and now from one day to the next you think I should throw it all .... money thrown daydream paid with my money ... Samsung didn't give it to me !!!! and I can't use it on your whim ... is that normal for you?

Yatomd
Explorer
Options

I've paid good money for the Google Daydream only because I knew it was compatible with the Samsung Galaxy S9 plus. Whatever you guys have done in order to ruin the access to the service in Daydream is borderline illegal. You guys have to fix this or otherwise this would be the last time I will be purchasing any Samsung devices. I have always been explaining that my Samsung device is one of the best and I have continuously purchased Samsung device because that was my impression so far. However, seeing the incompetence and inability from anybody in the Samsung to answer a question that has been presented here at least a hundred times just shows me that there is no trust on the other side. You have to fix this and you have to fix this as soon as possible they have to send everybody in this thread and email saying that you've done so or at least respond *****

Yatomd
Explorer
Options

I'm going to chase you guys on a daily basis until you figure out what is the problem with the Google Daydream. I paid a lot of money for that device and for some reason something that you have done does not allow me to use the device anymore. To be absolutely clear, I was able to use it in the past but for some reason after an update I  I'm unable to do so now. 

Konfusion
Journeyman
Options

@Reaper4025 wrote:

See this article.

I'm afraid its over

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/16/20915791/google-daydream-samsung-oculus-gear-vr-mobile-vr-platfo...

That's old news (last October.) The Daydream should still work for older phones (like the Galaxy S9.)

0 Likes
Reaper4025
First Poster
Options
Samsung has discontinued support. Its not an over site or coding mistake. Samsung have stopped support. The app isn't even in the app store anymore. Try searching it and you will only see the Google VR app. The article I refer to isn't old. Its that the decision to stop supporting Daydream is old. I can reference other websites confirming this. But unfortunately you will either need to get a phone with older technology. Or by something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D7HL9KV?pf_rd_r=682X726W1R3J7362C7HE&pf_rd_p=e632fea2-678f-48...
0 Likes