Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 10 update kills Daydream compatibility

(Topic created on: 06-04-2020 09:07 AM)
GinKage
Apprentice
Options

Just like that, without any notice or warning, Daydream no longer works on my S9+.

The same applies to S9 and Note 9, which used to be perfectly compatible with Daydream, but now all you get is this:

Screenshot_20200201-111142_Daydream.jpg

Note that the scene behind this dialog window is actually perfectly rendered, and the phone itself is using the "low motion-blur" screen mode.

The problem is, in Android 8 and Android 9, these phones have defined a system flag "android.hardware.vr.high_performance", which is no longer defined on Android 10.
This is a Samsung-specific problem, as Pixel phones running Android 10 can still use Daydream perfectly (as reported in this Reddit thread).

Hopefully Samsung will be able to get around to fix this problem in a future system update, as it only requires them to add a single xml file to the system image...

248 REPLIES 248
Robinl
Pioneer
Options

@AntS "I received the reply that it’s part of Google’s rather than Samsung’s code"
I'm sorry but it seems your dev team is lying to you...

It's amazing how samsung chose to ignore google recommendation for seamless updates (A/B partition models) but when there is one line to add to a vendor specific xml it's "google's fault".

Please take your responsibility for once ! This is becoming outrageous.
It's not against you, AntS, personally but against samsung as a whole: stop lying to us ***** !
Konfusion even had to do the job of your devs by contacting google directly !

See how many posts there are in this thread ? How can samsung ignore this issue !

ComplianceDev
Explorer
Options

They WILL and CAN ignore this issue because they already released the update. 😞

I just got my daydream 2 months ago. If you go to Daydream's webpage, IT SPECIFICALLY LISTS THE SAMSUNG PHONES THAT ARE RECOMMENDED FOR DAYDREAM. Now we are talking about false advertising. Google partnered, yes. Samsung dropped the ball, yes. Will anyone step up to show loyalty to customer base? NO

Snakerboxxx
First Poster
Options

All they need to do is to add
Code:

<feature name="android.software.vr.mode" />
<feature name="android.hardware.vr.high_performance" />

to

/system/etc/permissions/handheld_core_hardware.xml

And it will work again

Konfusion
Journeyman
Options

@AntS wrote:

Hi all,

Appreciate that it’s not the news you wanted to hear.

In this instance Google ultimately chose to not extend Daydream support to One UI 2.

I asked at our end about the adding of the xml file/"android.hardware.vr.high_performance" flag as a possible solution (as suggested by the OP), but I received the reply that it’s part of Google’s rather than Samsung’s code, and so the Samsung developers wouldn’t be able to independently develop or change it etc.

However, I was also advised that there could be some hope if the option is added to the Android Open Source project by Google, as it then could also be added on Samsung devices.

@AntS

Google tech support has said, in no uncertain terms, that this is a Samsung software issue, and Google has not denied Samsung access to the feature.  Currently, the Daydream website lists the Galaxy S9 and S9+ as phones built for Daydream (this, alone, implies permission.)  Other phones are working with Android 10 and Daydream (Samsung is the exception.)  Samsung users have had luck getting Daydream to work with their Galaxy S9s by rooting the phone and adding two lines of code to an XML file.  Could you, please, ask you devs to add the lines of code for the next update?  If they cannot, could you please provide us with some documentation that Google is preventing you from adding this feature?  Either of these solutions would allow us to pursue a line of recourse.

Instructions for fixing Daydream compat:

in file: 

/system/etc/permissions/handheld_core_hardware.xml

add lines:
<feature name="android.software.vr.mode" />
<feature name="android.hardware.vr.high_performance" />

Thanks for working with us to resolve this oversite.

endpoint101
Navigator
Options

Found this thread after trying Daydream VR at the weekend.. just when we're in lockdown with Covid-19 and wanted an escape from it, we found that the S9 was now saying it was 'Incompatible'. Come on Samsung.. implement the fix listed above!

littlehelper
First Poster
Options
I also just found it out last weekend and was shocked. @SAMSUNG: Fix this! ASAP!
Antopgl
Voyager
Options
hello everyone i am antonio from Italy ... owner of galaxy s9 plus i in these days of quarantine i took daydream to play with my galaxy s9 plus and i found that after the update one ui 2 is no longer compatible ... all this is absurd for those who spent money to buy the device that was compatible and the games that cost! it is not possible such a thing is not seriousness !!! and the simplicity with which it can be solved is absurd but samsung is not do nothing !!!
Konfusion
Journeyman
Options

On behalf of all Samsung Galaxy S9 owners who also own a Daydream...

Samsung, please #dowhatwecant

Leader2light
Explorer
Options
Samsung, YOU HAVE FAILED the COMMUNITY.
Sam9554
First Poster
Options
Same issue here. Samsung please fix that!!!