Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Samsung says Finder shortcut was removed because no-one was using it

(Topic created on: 11-11-2023 04:58 PM)
Iain321
Pathfinder
Options
OneUI 6 update has removed a function to create a shortcut to the Finder search app which is now confined to the app drawer search bar. 
It means you can no longer create a desctop icon to get you quickly to the powerful phone search functions of Finder such as contacts, calendar, emails, files, folders etc. 
I found it especially useful cos I use a launcher that has its own app drawer so the shortcut was my only way to Finder. 
I asked Samsung CS why it had been removed and they said cos it wasn't being used. 
If you miss the function please get in touch with the Samsung help desk and ask for its return. 

30 REPLIES 30
SM00
First Poster
Options

THIS!! I may go back to Apple over this. I love my S23 Ultra but, for those of us with small hands, fewer reaches and clicks are essential. I use the finder 50 times a day because it requires one click and brings up the keyboard without having to reach the top of the screen. Absolutely essential to my use of this phone. I can't say this enough. Having to get to the top of the screen and CLICK the search bar to get the keyboard is too much repositioning and time when I use this so often. Without this feature I downgrade to a smaller apple phone with a roughly equivalent camera.  I will miss the stylus, a writeable calendar, amd scheduling texts. But the pain-free use of my phone is more important. I'm  in physical therapy for my left arm and big phones and multiple clicks are part of the cause of my injury. I can't stress enough how essential this function is to the use of this phone for people with small hands. 

Iain321
Pathfinder
Options

I totally agree with you.

I think Samsung put a lot of effort initially into making One UI more user friendly on big phones.  It was a good and much praised policy.

But scrapping the Finder (otherwise known as universal search) shortcut goes completely against that early ethos. 

Please Samsung, remember that your operating system is being used on big phones and reaching the top of the screen is absolutely impossible without using two hands or dropping the phone. 

A universal shortcut icon really make operation easier. Why would you even think of getting rid of it?

dyun1dyun1
Apprentice
Options

I totally agree with you and used my finder app the same way. It was the center of my home screen and used consistently. 

Justn2
Student
Options

I used the Finder app icon daily. It was so useful and fast to just click the icon and the keyboard open to search for an app or contact.. this is a step backwards. I think more people would have used it if they knew about it.. but most people don't look in the settings for things and damsung didn't really promote it but they should have!

BRING IT BACK SAMSUNG!

Members_NlEh2Tr
First Poster
Options

Wow this is horrible. I used the shortcut like 200 times a day. Now it's gone. I made a touch macro to bring a much slower version of it, back. Which I cannot put in the bottom dock. This is awful Samsung, WHY???

Iain321
Pathfinder
Options

You may have seen it already, but there's a thread here with a few workarounds you might find useful.

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s23-series/oneui-6-where-has-finder-app-gone/td-p/8488883... 

dyun1dyun1
Apprentice
Options

I started to use the diagonal swipe to get to the finder, though I still miss the finder app button at the center of my screen.  

Matt_w18
Student
Options

Before the update I had 'Finder' as the digital assist app, i.e. I held down the home bottom and the search popped up and I could type, the iPhone equivalent of swiping up and just simply typing. I used this function every single time I needed an app not on my home page and was without a doubt the most used function on my phone. Like you, this is essential for me. I am due a phone upgrade in January and genuinely this is a must for me or I am going back to iPhone. I have the below work around for now, and I have added the short cut to the bottom apps, but this isn't a permanent solution for me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=weG5XCQUVsE 

0 Likes
nezdali
First Poster
Options

Hello Samsung! This is the most useful shortcut which i use on my galaxy, please bring it back!

There is no other convenient way to do the app search with one hand!

Unfortunatelly this is a very bad desicion, this is the way how you can loose the game with apple!