Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Samsung S23 - 64bit question

(Topic created on: 29-05-2023 07:19 PM)
NiKRuLeZ
Navigator
Options

Hey all

As I understand it, the current CPU/SoC installed in the Samsung S23 is 64bit compatible. The question I have is ...

1) Is the current firmware that ships with the Samsung S23 (bought through Samsung direct UK website or UK mobile network) a 64bit version or a 32bit version of Android OS?

2) If it's a 64bit version - does that mean all the apps installed will also be 64bit too or does android have a 32bit emulator to allow legacy 32bit apps to still run?

Cheers in advance!

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
Solution
Tourbillon De La Vie
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

2 ✌️😊

NiKRuLeZ
Navigator
Options

Okay so it's a 64 bit version. What about allowing 32 bit apps to be installed on a 64 bit Android version? Has Android/Samsung got an emulation layer to allow this to happen or is it purely 64 bit apps only?

0 Likes
Tourbillon De La Vie
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

It will run 32bit apps too 

PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
A 64bit processor will run 32bit apps. 64bit processors can handle bigger files and perform transactions and handle memory much more efficiently than 32bit and a 32bit OS can only handle up to a max 4gb of RAM. This means a 64bit processor can run 32bit apps but not the other way around i.e a 32bit processor won't run 64bit apps. If your device is using more than 4gb ram it can only be 64bit. If there are incompatibilities they would tend to be due to compatibility with android versions etc I hope this helps