Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

S23 Ultra Main Camera Low light focus issue

(Topic created on: 14-02-2023 05:32 AM)
Chappers87
Pioneer
Options
Is anyone else having the same issue? 
So I was playing around comparing my old S22 Ultra to the new S23 Ultra and found the camera to be improved in all ways except when it comes to trying to focus in very low light.

So when trying to take a picture of the night sky, with my house in the background, I found the S22 ultra seems to focus near instantly and I can get a good night mode picture of the stars, even the brick work on the house is on focus.

However with the S23 Ultra, the camera doesn't focus and just sits blurry, if I turned on a light in one of the upstairs windows then it gets enough light to focus and will take a detailed sharp photo. 

It seems like the laser autofocus on the S22 ultra works in pitch black and not on my S23.

4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Solution
BN44
Pathfinder
Options

I am having the same issue and am also using lens protectors. The ones made by Spigen to be precise.

So I'm not sure whether the issue is the protector over the actual cameras or the one over the laser focus but I might pop them off and see.

View solution in context

Solution
BN44
Pathfinder
Options

Yep, that fixed it. So I don't know if there's a software update that's going to resolve this but for now I'll have to use the phone without the lens protectors. I have also used them before without issues on other phones. Let's hope this is just an issue since the phone just came out.

View solution in context

Solution
Chappers87
Pioneer
Options
So I can confirm that the lens cover for the Laser focus was causing the issue. As soon as I took it off it was focusing straight away in almost total dark. Seemed quicker than my old S22 Ultra and got a sharp focus on the light from under the door. I could replicate the issue by placing my finger over the laser autofocus sensor causing the focus to drop and it was hunting and blurry. Not saying it's all lens protectors just atm Spigen but I do have another brand one I'll try tomorrow to see if that works. (Just to clarify the laser focus lens was the only protector I took off)

View solution in context

Solution
Chappers87
Pioneer
Options
So I got to check other lens protectors and I can confirm I bought a set of camera lens protectors from ESR, I then placed just the Laser Focus lens on and it worked identically to before with no cover on. It looks like the Spigen ones sit a little high and this was causing issues. The ESR lenses are thinner and sit closer to the actual lens glass.

View solution in context

41 REPLIES 41
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
Hmm I haven't seen this behaviour from mine compared to my S22 Ultra. I've sent my S22 Ultra for trade in now so can't do any further comparisons, but during my testing time, I found low light situations much better on the S23 Ultra.
0 Likes
Chappers87
Pioneer
Options
The processing is much better just occasionally it's slow to focus in extreme low light
0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
I think for now it's possible, however the S22 has had a full year to mature it's camera software. Seeing as this is just the pre launch software on the S23, I'm fairly confident they'll correct or improve greatly on these things.
Chappers87
Pioneer
Options
Yeah I feel it's more software based. Looking forward to the first update but loving how much better all my shots are so far
0 Likes
SmallFish
Helping Hand
Options

Observation is the there's not much digital processing of images taken using the 200/50 megapixel lens. As such it's not sharpening images.

I agree that in poor light the 200 and 50 megapixel performance is poor. Blurry images without detail compared to the standard lens.

0 Likes
Babishko
Hotshot
Options
I would really give your phone some focus tests in good light @Chappers87. Really get your camera working. I have only had my S23 Ultra for four days now and I have taken 200+ photos and 8 4K 60 videos. I really make sure the camera system is bedded in as early as possible. Your camera system is a very complex set up, but sometimes it really needs to be given a hard time to really bed it in. Give that focusing system some REAL work to do in good lighting. I really hope my advice helps you with your problem. 👍
0 Likes
Chappers87
Pioneer
Options
It focuses perfectly in good light and in lower light. It's more just at night time when you've only got moonlight. The S22 ultra was only better in that scenario for focus time. I'll admit it seems to be getting better the more I use it but I'm sure there will be a camera update soon which should solve it
0 Likes
NTN1
First Poster
Options

I have the same problem are you using a camera lens protector?

20230219_022911.jpg

Chappers87
Pioneer
Options
Yeah but I've never had an issue with lens protectors before
0 Likes