Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram plus

(Topic created on: 08-05-2023 11:41 AM)
Populos
Journeyman
Options
With 12 gb Ram, what is the advantages / disadvantages of ramplus on /off.
S23 Ultra.
0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
GusB
Big Cheese
Options
I've personally turned it off....I've read that using the storage memory as RAM has the potential to 'wear out' or damage with the constant read/write... In reality, RAM+ is only engaged when the real RAM is maxed out...it's unlikely going to be maxed out with the S23U anyway...
Populos
Journeyman
Options
Read the same article. Turned mine off.
Rajsahab
Helping Hand
Options
I did the same thing, simply turned off. And RAM plus doesn't give you 12Gb any way only 8GB max
0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

The advantage @Populos is that if your phone starts to max out the 12gb built in Ram then it can then use the virtual Ram you've added.

Personally I find my phone adequately self regulates my Ram to free up some Ram if required.

People have read that it has the potential to slow down the phone however I haven't personally seen anything official about this.

I don't use Ram- Plus.

If I can be of any further help then please don't hesitate. Take care.  😎 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
MNas04
Helping Hand
Options
I think you should turn it off. As I don't use it on my A53. I use to use it before. But then since knowing that it can slow your phone down and it uses half of your storage space.
0 Likes
PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
I did have it activated but have turned it off. To be honest I don't think it would be of use in a 12gb phone unless you have apps that need a lot of RAM and even then it would be unlikely. Technically if your phone ran out of ram and used part of your storage as virtual ram I can see the argument that it could add a high amount of wear and tear to the storage being used and would slow down the speed to that of the storage instead of the ram but if you have a lot of ram e.g 8+ then I suspect it would never be needed or used. However if you have a device with low ram eg 2 or 3gb then ram plus is a god send as it would enable you to do more with the phone by increasing the amount of available ram which would allow it to run high demand apps. I would be interested to see the official opinion but my personal opinion would be if you have 8+GB of ram then there would be little to no benefit but may be useful if you have less than 8gb of ram? I can't speak for phones but a PC with 8gb of ram can comfortably run just about anything and PCs tend to be more resource demanding than phones. Hope this makes sense
sarasphotobox
Hotshot
Options
Should i turn off ram plus for s23 5G 128gb
0 Likes