Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One 6.1 update has broken things!

(Topic created on: 29-03-2024 05:02 PM)
BigPhil77
Explorer
Options
Updated my S23 Ultra to One 6.1 yesterday in the UK & I'm NOT impressed! The package installer as been greyed out & I'm unable to download external apks! The only way I can download external apks now is using SAI,6.1 has taken away the ability to customise AOD the way "I" like it & not the way Samsung thinks I should have it! We were promised faster transitions & animations but with it still set at .5 it's still the same! I'm sure I'll find other broken things but I'm regretting "downgrading" to 6.1 from 6.0
9 REPLIES 9
Tourbillon De La Vie
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

Strange, package installer appears as option to install with under few apps that I've allowed to install from the external sources 

BigPhil77
Explorer
Options
It appears as an option but does nothing when pressed
0 Likes
Tourbillon De La Vie
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

I've just tried it and it works fine. Did you do usual troubleshooting 

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@BigPhil77: Please try heading to Settings > Security and privacy > More security settings > Install unknown apps, and toggle on the relevant source from here. Let me know if this helps. 

0 Likes
BigPhil77
Explorer
Options
None of my settings have changed since before the updates the first settings I always change on any device is to allow unknown app installation
0 Likes
Piper123
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
All good systems focus on security.

In One UI6.1, Samsung set the default to not allow unknown app installation. It is not recommended but you can change it back which is what @AndrewL was indicating.....
0 Likes
Peter Gault
First Poster
Options

Sometimes the issue of the install button not doing anything when clicked is because one of your apps is using the "Appear on top" or display over other apps permission, and the install button gets blocked as a security measure so a third party app can't use said permission to install malware onto your phone. To check, go to settings, and type "Appear on top" in the search bar to go straight there. Inside the menu, if you find any third party apps that could be causing this problem, switch them off.  Then try installing an APK again to see if the install button works when clicked.

Hope this helps!

0 Likes
BigPhil77
Explorer
Options
It was already set at allow unknown app installation when I checked after the update
0 Likes
BigPhil77
Explorer
Options
Thanks for the suggestion but this method didn't solve the issue package installer still not working I can't even find out how to update or roll back package installer that's annoying me
0 Likes