Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New S23 Arrived

(Topic created on: 03-03-2023 06:28 PM)
PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
I've had the S23 Ultra 512gb for a couple days now so have been busy setting it up which is always a pain when you get a new phone as you have to log back into everything and validate all of the accounts etc

The deal
I got it fromm EE on a promotion I.e interest free payments for 36 months (Total £1326) and get Buds2 Pro thrown in. I have not traded in my S22U 1tb as their buy back is low probably around 350. If your not trading in the phone, the network offers are much better than Samsung also there is no complex procedure for claiming your free gifts etc as they are sent out automatically after the cooling off period

Samsung is better if you want custom colours and 1tb storage and wish to trade in but network operators are better if your ok with 512gb, standard colours and speed as EE deliver in under 24hrs and customer care etc are more accessible and easier to contact

The set up
I updated apps and backed up my S22 via samsung account, updated apps on S23 then used smart switch via usb c to do the transfer to the S23 which went quite smoothly with no errors and any missing apps showed in grey which is really useful to remind you what you had on previous phone. I then restored backup from Samsung that I did on S22, which pretty much put everything where it was before made life a lot easier and was very reassuring. Now it's a case of clicking everything and logging back in. One problem is the sim card can take up to 24hrs to activate by network provider which can block getting login activation codes for accounts and apps so my advice is keep old phone handy and active to get the sms activation codes etc. One mistake I made was not checking for OS updates on new phone until I was part way through as it didn't have the Feb update so I updated it and doesn't seem to be any issue

The phone
There is almost no noticeable difference in the phone vs the S22U but it does feel very sturdy and you can feel the lines on the side which I like. It feels well made

In terms of performance and functionality. The S23 takes longer to boot up but when switched on but to be honest I didn't see any noticable difference in speed at all. What I have noticed is it is smoother and doesn't seem as glitchy I.e the little stutters or micro lags you sometimes get during tasks on the S22. It does seem smooth and responsive and therefore in my opinion more trustworthy than the S22U but I may be overly negative on the S22U due to bad experience ealy on. In terms of Battery, I think the S23 may be slightly better in heavy use but only very slightly, this may be different in normal day to day use. I used just over 50% setting it up and listened to streaming music via Spotify for a couple of hrs which eats batteries.

My Early Opinion
On the whole it's as i expected I.e not much different than the S22U but the differences are important and matter to me as my phone is an integral part of my work as well as at home so it's important everything works

I can't really comment on other aspects such as network connectivity yet as I need to use it for longer but I did notice it has connected to my Sumup card reader quickly and first time and the contact less payments seem to bing a lot quicker, I'll comment more on this when my network is activated by EE and have used it more. In summary, if you use your phone for everyday stuff you won't really notice a difference compared with an S22U but for heavy stuff the S23 is a little better but more stable

7 REPLIES 7
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Thank you for your insight on your new phone @PaulC59  👍 

It certainly looks to be an impressive powerful phone.

I have had the Samsung Galaxy s²² Ultra since launch day and haven't experienced any negative issues.

I love the process of setting up my new phone's but I appreciate for some it can be a bind 😆 

I'm looking forward to your future updates 😊 @PaulC59 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
Thank you for your comments. Yes they are both very powerful phones so it's never going to be a huge difference when a new model is released. I talked my daughters boyfriend into skipping the S22 and waiting for the S23 which he did and my daughter updated me, apparently he's taking snaps of everything including of her eating her dinner to demonstrate the detail and colours of the camera. He is well impressed with his S23 but my daughter isn't so impressed 🤣
0 Likes
BaronDigo
Helping Hand
Options
Personally, I enjoy the part where I have to setup the new phone. Gives me time to explore it thoroughly.
This setup also slaps battery, so dknt make a judgement yet. Same with the initial bootup.
PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
Yes I'd did have quite a work out setting up especially with the stuff I have to transfer. I tend to set up the basics to get everything running and then experiment with different things each time I get some spare time, there are that many features on these new phones you find new things even when you think you've tried it all
Mikeact
Apprentice
Options
Would you be happy to sell your s22u for 350 ?
PaulC59
Troubleshooter
Options
Hi thank you for your interest. I have decided to hang onto it for now but I will certainly let you know should I decide to sell it. Thank you
0 Likes
Allysisa
Helping Hand
Options
I have 2nd hand n20u I got in July I been trying to save for the s22 ultra as I can't be without my interlocking s pen has a whole is the camera on the s22 good x