Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

GPS has stopped working - no satalites found

(Topic created on: 20-07-2023 06:27 AM)
S23Ultra1TB
Pioneer
Options

Owned an S23 Ultra 1TB since Feb - the phone's been great until recently where I noticed the GPS would cut out periodically. It turns out that the location was actually updating based on WiFi an Bluetooth scanning - and not the GPS.

The GPS has stopped working at some point in the last month, and doesn't connect to any satalites when using the GPS Status app. I've tried the app on another device (S10), and it works fine.

I've tried a network settings reset, and have checked all the location settings and tried turning off power-saving mode. Nothing seems to bring the GPS back to life.

Not sure if its a software of hardware issue. I've also just done the 1st July 2023 software update.

I'm not the first to report the issue - does anyone know if a fix, or how to diagnose what the issue might be?

0 Likes
24 REPLIES 24
mAsterJon2
Student
Options
Don't master rest. Turning off bluetooth scanning in location services then restarting the phone outdoors seems to do the trick. Download GPs status from the app store to clear and update the gps signal as well. Its a software issue
Solution
S23Ultra1TB
Pioneer
Options

It's not a software issue.

I did a master reset anyway - and expectedly it didn't fix the problem.

Samsung engineer ran the diagnostics and decided to replace the motherboard based on the test results. They tested the GPS before the diagnostics, and after replacing the motherboard. It didn't work before, it works now.

To to bring this thread to a close: Issue was with a GPS component located on the motherboard - a replacement motherboard has been fitted and the GPS now works again.

The phone probably would have been wiped anyway, so the master reset - and more importantly - backup, was a good decision.

Case closed

0 Likes
mAsterJon2
Student
Options
At the risk of further insults, let's hope this fixes your problem long term.
You won't be the first to report the issue.
S23Ultra1TB
Pioneer
Options
Sorry bud, wasn't my intention to insult! It's just that I'd already said in my opening post that I'd tried GPS Status and a heap of other checks.

The repair guy said he gets one if these GPS fails once a month or so, so it's not completely alien.

Anyway, at least this one's been documented and on the forums. Hopefully it'll benefit others who've the misfortune of a GPS fail
ascarr
First Poster
Options
This worked for me
0 Likes