Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

GPS has stopped working - no satalites found

(Topic created on: 19-07-2023 01:00 PM)
S23Ultra1TB
Pioneer
Options

Owned an S23 Ultra 1TB since Feb - the phone's been great until recently where I noticed the GPS would cut out periodically. It turns out that the location was actually updating based on WiFi an Bluetooth scanning - and not the GPS.

The GPS has stopped working at some point in the last month, and doesn't connect to any satalites when using the GPS Status app. I've tried the app on another device (S10), and it works fine.

I've tried a network settings reset, and have checked all the location settings and tried turning off power-saving mode. Nothing seems to bring the GPS back to life.

Not sure if its a software of hardware issue. I've also just done the 1st July 2023 software update.

I'm not the first to report the issue - does anyone know if a fix, or how to diagnose what the issue might be?

0 Likes
24 REPLIES 24
S23Ultra1TB
Pioneer
Options

Don't know if this helps either

Screenshot_20230719_093604_GPS Status.jpg

0 Likes
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options
Well it certainly seems that all settings are correct in the GPS app... and clearly no signals showing in the azimuth.

So I would suggest either the GPS antenna is not receiving anything... or there is some software switch that is disabling the GPS functions...

As you have said before that you have checked the location settings are all enabled then likely there is an anomaly with the GPS antenna in the phone or the chipset itself.

One last thing would be to disable the Bluetooth scanning and WiFi scanning in the 'improve accuracy' and double check a cold start is sent with the GPS app.

I assume you haven't been into the developer settings hidden menu ? Perhaps disabled or enabled an option by accident ?

I see there is this screenshot in the developer menu.

I have no idea what it will do... but could try to enable it (should be off by default).

Does it make any difference ?

Other than that then double check the location settings and apps... I.e. Google maps and GPS toolbox doesn't have the location settings turned off by default.
- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
0 Likes
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options
Attached screenshotSmartSelect_20230719_125003_Settings_1000007425_1689767404.jpg
- Smiley

0 Likes
S23Ultra1TB
Pioneer
Options

@smiley wrote:
One last thing would be to disable the Bluetooth scanning and WiFi scanning in the 'improve accuracy' and double check a cold start is sent with the GPS app.

This was one of the first things I tried - no dice.

WiFi scanning was turned on - and its the reason it took me a while to figure out I had an issue, as the nav was horribly usable during the day. At night though - I nearly ended up in a car crash as it was giving me instructions based on random WiFi spots well out of sight, perhaps a hundred of meters away - because it thought I was near the WiFi spot when in fact I was leaving the motorway. 

It's a dreadful feature when used on its own - should be disabled if the GPS isn't working tbh. 

S23Ultra1TB
Pioneer
Options

My "Force full GNSS measurements" switch is also OFF

Turned it on - no difference. 

Arrgh.

0 Likes
S23Ultra1TB
Pioneer
Options

@smiley wrote:
Well it certainly seems that all settings are correct in the GPS app... and clearly no signals showing in the azimuth.

So yours looks the same as mine? What could that suggest? Surely if something was busted in my phone, it should show up?

I also ran the Samsung Members app... it gives me a tick for GPS. 

There must be something busted somewhere that a sensor can pick up, no?

0 Likes
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options
The only way I can get my phone to stop positioning like your experience...is to disable the location switch from the main menu...

1689768294264_1689768294256_0.jpg
- Smiley

0 Likes
S23Ultra1TB
Pioneer
Options

I'd almost guess/argue that when you disable your location, the phone still knows the GPS location, and it's still on to a certain degree. Whereas I think mine is well and truly off.

As in, when you turn the LOCATION OFF button ON, your phone is turning ON the LOCATION OFF feature

Whereas for me, my phone isn't turning ON the LOCATION OFF feature, it's just OFF, and somehow won't come on even when asked to.

There must be a test to run where that can be checked

0 Likes
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options
I assume you don't have any bixby routines or anything that could change location functionality..

I.e whilst at home then turn off.

I would suggest if the sensor for the GPS in the diagnostic menu is showing a tick... that the chipset is ok. So most likely an antenna fault. I am not sure where the GPS antenna is within this phone... but one would expect it should be towards the top and rear. I.e. in a receiver design it is no good putting the antenna where the users hand will impede the signal quality.

Sorry I think I am probably running out of ideas...

I very much doubt it would change things... but I would perhaps back up and do a factory reset back to default.

Then when it is vanilla and nothing added back, just go into maps and GPS toolbox and see if anything had changed in its function.

You can always smartswitch everything back afterwards.
- Smiley

0 Likes
S23Ultra1TB
Pioneer
Options

Good suggestion! I have a few routines in use.

Just double checked them in case my toddler added location quirks to it - but nada. They look good.

I'm SmartSwitching 500GB of stuff as we speak. It's a horrific mess... had to take out a Google Cloud solution to help me by as all my external drives are full atm.

Will reset it tonight. 

The guys coming to fix it tomorrow. I'll bet my house that it'll be RMA's and replaced because something in it failed. 

If it is a hardware failure, the only thing I can think of is that it was pretty warm a few weeks ago, and I remember my phone getting warm.. surely that wouldn't be enough to fry the antenna though?

0 Likes