Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Original topic:

GPS has stopped working - no satalites found

(Topic created on: 17-07-2023 11:11 PM)
S23Ultra1TB
Pioneer
Options

Owned an S23 Ultra 1TB since Feb - the phone's been great until recently where I noticed the GPS would cut out periodically. It turns out that the location was actually updating based on WiFi an Bluetooth scanning - and not the GPS.

The GPS has stopped working at some point in the last month, and doesn't connect to any satalites when using the GPS Status app. I've tried the app on another device (S10), and it works fine.

I've tried a network settings reset, and have checked all the location settings and tried turning off power-saving mode. Nothing seems to bring the GPS back to life.

Not sure if its a software of hardware issue. I've also just done the 1st July 2023 software update.

I'm not the first to report the issue - does anyone know if a fix, or how to diagnose what the issue might be?

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
S23Ultra1TB
Pioneer
Options

It's not a software issue.

I did a master reset anyway - and expectedly it didn't fix the problem.

Samsung engineer ran the diagnostics and decided to replace the motherboard based on the test results. They tested the GPS before the diagnostics, and after replacing the motherboard. It didn't work before, it works now.

To to bring this thread to a close: Issue was with a GPS component located on the motherboard - a replacement motherboard has been fitted and the GPS now works again.

The phone probably would have been wiped anyway, so the master reset - and more importantly - backup, was a good decision.

Case closed

View solution in context

0 Likes
23 REPLIES 23
S23Ultra1TB
Pioneer
Options
Anyone able to opine? Anyone from Samsung able to advise? It's really poor for a £1600 flagship device to fail, and for a product to have non-existant after-sales support.
The chatbot is of no help unfortunately, the nearest Experience store is 15 miles away, and there doesn't appear to be a phone number for Samsung to discuss the issue on. The Live Chat agent is also not responding
0 Likes
Tourbillon De La Vie
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

I'm assuming you tried when outdoors. Try some suggestions if not already 

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/the-gps-location-on-my-smartphone-is-inaccurate-ho...

0 Likes
S23Ultra1TB
Pioneer
Options
I know you're trying to help, but seriously.. people aren't this stupid.

I've diagnosed everything I possibly can, Reset everything except the master reset, tried different combinations of settings on and off, used GPS satellite scanning apps and compared them to other galaxy devices running the same network side by side, cleared caches, run safe mode, etc.

It's obviously broken.

Samsung want me to master reset it in order to repair it. I think it's a pointless exercise, but I'll entertain their bs after I've bought another Samsung device to copy my existing device to.

I'll be returning whatever I buy in no more than 10 days too, when my device gets fixed. Samsungs repair and replacement policy is so stupid. Turns out I can buy a device, but if it's not the colour I like, and it takes me 14 days to figure it out, I can return it for a refund. So maybe I fancy a red one, if it's the right red.

Or, I could just get issued with a replacement and send back the dud. But no, better to overcomplicate things.
Tourbillon De La Vie
Samsung Members Star ★
Options

all's well that ends well

0 Likes
S23Ultra1TB
Pioneer
Options
Haha, I hope so. I'm still navigating the rocky part of the story; pun intended.
0 Likes
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options
Strange for the GNSS receiver to fail completely. Have you tried using the GPS status app to check an azimuth map and see what GPS constellation you are seeing ?

In this there is also an option under A-GPS setting for performing a 'cold start' which removes all known orbital data from your device... you can also download up to date assisted data to help with a position fix.

This might be worth a try. If you still see no observations at all with this azimuth map... then I would agree the GNSS chip has a problem.

P.s. before you say this is a stupid suggestion, I work in GPS receiver design for spacecraft satellites... so I know what I am talking about 😉

Smiley
- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
smiley
Troubleshooter
Options
Attached screenshots. Perhaps you can post an equivalent screenshot of your azimuth observations from satellite tracking ??Screenshot_20230719_091755_GPS Status.jpg
- Smiley
------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAMSUNG S23 ULTRA 512GB SM-S918B/DS

Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 Pro SM-R920 in Grey Titanium
Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro SM-R510 in Graphite
S23Ultra1TB
Pioneer
Options

Yes one of the first apps I tried was GPS Status. It can't see anything, but when I look in the Diagnostics section of the app, it seems to show everything with a green tick. Only the step counter seems to not register immediately, but it'll prob register if i walk around with the phone a bit.

I also tried the A-GPS stuff. 

There's literally nothing on the map, and it shows 0/0 sat/fix'.

I ran it on an S10 as well, just to make sure the app itself worked. Ran them side by side; the S10 was fine, the S23U showed nothing.

And thank you for your contribution - nice to have something not so generic to read for once! 😆

0 Likes
S23Ultra1TB
Pioneer
Options

Here you goScreenshot_20230719_093153_GPS Status.jpg

It doesn't get past this stage on the S23U.

Wish I'd ran it back when it worked - had no reason to I guess. But it'd at least prove there was an issue.

0 Likes