Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aggressive adaptive brightness.

(Topic created on: 04-03-2023 05:13 AM)
Robotikpenguin
Apprentice
Options
Is it just me but...... I have upgraded from the Huawei P30 pro to S23 Ultra. The S23 ultra is very good however I find that the adaptive brightness is very aggressive in some situations. For example I went to the beach yesterday and it was a bright sunny day so of course I want to take lots of photos. I find that depending on the direction of the photos I am taking I either get a very bright screen or a screen so dim that I cannot actually use the screen as a viewfinder. The P30 Pro never had this issue. Another situation where the adaptive brightness is useless is when I use the phone in my car in a phone holder for Google maps. As I drive the screen is constantly switching from very bright to dim depending on the light whilst I am driving. The other day I had to pull over and switch the adaptive brightness off as it was so distracting. Whenever I am inside a building adaptive brightness is fine. If I turn off adaptive brightness and set my own brightness whilst outside the screen always seems dull unless brightness is set and fixed to maximum.
I compared my phone to my friends S23 ultra and theirs is exactly the same in all these situations. It would be good if Samsung put an option in the camera app that allows the screen to remain a constant brightness whilst using the screen as a viewfinder. Clearly the super aggressive adaptive brightness goes someway to explaining the great battery life but its certainly not even close to how well Huawei handled light on the screen of the P30 Pro. 

7 REPLIES 7
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Personally I don't prefer how the adaptive brighness functions on my phone so I turn this off and choose to set mine manually.

I appreciate that's nkt as seamless as adaptive which changes in different conditions.

Perhaps send your feedback via your Samsung Members App for the Samsung Team to pay due consideration @Robotikpenguin 

If I can be of any further help then please don't hesitate. Take care.  😎 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
Options
I do the same as bandofbrothers
Options
🙃
0 Likes
Robotikpenguin
Apprentice
Options
It's a shame that on such a flagship phone this function is so bad and I will have to constantly keep adjusting the screen manually depending on the light levels.
0 Likes
Options
I don't know if this will work, but you could set it on light when its dark and dark when its light ?
0 Likes
Robotikpenguin
Apprentice
Options
Unfortunately no. Its always in dark mode and the screen dims badly in sunlight depending on if sun hits the screen or not.
0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Totally appreciate what your saying @Robotikpenguin  👍 

As I mentioned I manually adjust as I'm nkt keen on what the sensors choose themselves.

It's not often I have to manually adjust unless I'm in bright sunlight which doesn't happen often in the UK  !

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes