Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi speeds

(Topic created on: 03-02-2023 02:04 AM)
Rob99
Voyager
Options
I have just switched over to Virgin Media's Gig1 service.

However, I'm only getting 450 -500 Mbs connection on my S22 Ultra. I understand the phone supports speeds of 2.4 Gbs, so am I doing something wrong?

I am definitely getting 1100 - 1150 Mbs to the router, but much slower from the router to the phone.
0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12
StuartR
Troubleshooter
Options
I'm with youfibre 1gb and I get similar speeds to you and those speeds are pretty good, you will not get 1gb over WiFi irrespective of what your phone says it can do.

Do you have a laptop or anything else you run over WiFi as they will get roughly the same speeds as your phone.

Virgin like Youfibre will only guarantee 900mb ish via a network cable so you'll definitely get less over WiFi.
Rob99
Voyager
Options
I get slightly better speeds of 500-600 Mbs on my iMac.

OK thanks, you've put my mind at rest!
0 Likes
StuartR
Troubleshooter
Options
It's normal mate..
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
You are confusing the broadcast radio spectrum frequency with bandwidth
0 Likes
KevP79
Voyager
Options
What frequency (wifi band) are you connected to ?

A lot of factors come in to play regarding WiFi, from the WiFi hardware (reception/ booster) in both the router and in your case phone, to channel congestion (probably being the biggest impact) and overall distance between you and the router.

As shown in the pictures of my s21 fe our 2.4 ghz band is congested its heavily used in the surrounding area of my home, where as the 5ghz band I've managed to isolate channels that not many people are using, I would recommend using a WiFi analyser and manually select your channels as the auto function on most routers is pretty poor in reality.

With the speeds you mentioned though it should be more than enough for day to day activities

Best of luckScreenshot_20220610-185007_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20220610-185230_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20220610-185210_Settings.jpg
Rob99
Voyager
Options
I've isolated the 5GHz band but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. My link speed is never more than 866 Mbs. You are right, it generally is fast enough but I sort of feel cheated that I'm not getting full 1Gbs! I will have a look at the channels, although the router is supposed to do that automatically.

Thanks for your help.
0 Likes
Beta22
Voyager
Options
Which hub do you have? I'm on a Gig1 plan as well with the Hub4. Although the Hub4 receives the full 1GB speed, you'll only be able to get that to a device if connected via LAN cable. The Hub4 only support WiFi 5 so looks like you're getting the top speed available.

The Hub5 on the other hand was announced late in 2021 with support for WiFi 6 so "should" be capable of delivering 1GB speeds over WiFi. Apparently Virgin Media are looking to roll out Hub 5s to Gig1 customers but no firm timescales advertised yet.

In the meantime, I'm considering getting a WiFi 6 router and then use the Hub4 in modem mode to get the most out of the Gig1 plan.
Rob99
Voyager
Options
Yep, exactly the same as you. I guess we either wait, or as you says go for a wifi 6 router. To be honest, the speeds I'm getting are more than fast enough but I'm just greedy.
0 Likes
Smokeyy3
First Poster
Options
I have virgin 1gbs, I get 866mbs on my s22 +, but when I have did speed tests it comes up around 360-480mbs download with a average of 45mbs upload
0 Likes