Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Twin 5G Sims not allowed?

(Topic created on: 24-09-2022 06:31 PM)
SuperTramp33
Explorer
Options
I have 2 Sims on different networks, both have a 5G data allowance, but the S22ultra will only allow one sim to be set up as 5G at a time?
And yet both Sims can be set up as 4G
Is there a technical reason for this limitation?

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8
4monkeys
First Poster
Options
You only need 1 data active sm so does it matter?
0 Likes
SuperTramp33
Explorer
Options
Unfortunately 5G coverage isn't nationwide yet, so different networks have 5G in different towns, I'd like the phone to use 5G on either SIM if it's available
0 Likes
4monkeys
First Poster
Options
It still remains the same, what your after is auto switch between faster network not two x 5G
0 Likes
ynneL
Troubleshooter
Options
You can only have 1 data connection at a time so using 5G on both SIMS simultaneously would be an unnecessary waste of battery power your phone retains a 4G connection on the other SIM for VoLTE capabilities
0 Likes
GooseSnipe
Voyager
Options
I know what he means, basically although you can't use both Sims for data at the same time, you can enable auto switching, so which ever is giving the best signal, however......you can't set both to 5g, only one of the Sims can be set to run in 5g mode, the other one can only be set to 4g max speed even if it supports 5g
SuperTramp33
Explorer
Options
Exactly this GooseSnipe, I don't want 2 x 5G simulatiously, (that would be stupid), just auto switching between Sims with 5G when either has 5G coverage
0 Likes
GooseSnipe
Voyager
Options
Yeah I'm running dual Sims too, 1 is esim and the other a nano SIM, but same as you, both support 5g, I have the esim set to 5G/LTE/3G etc, the other can only be set to LTE/3G2G etc.
fx777
Explorer
Options

Other phones don't have this limitation. 5G iPhones allow you to select 5G on both sims (obviously only using 1 at a time...) also Xiaomi phones (which i'm currently using) also allow you to set both sims to 5G again using only 1 at a time.  I think maybe its a Samsung thing but seems like an unnecessary restriction? 

0 Likes