Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

SS22 Ultra Remove Accented Characters

(Topic created on: 15-08-2022 12:35 PM)
Jay_Ro
Apprentice
Options

Characters become accented when pressed a millisecond too long. Have turned off > Language and Input > On-Screen Keyboard > Samsung Keyboard > Style and Layout > Keyboard Layout, to toggle off the Alternative Characters option but that makes no difference. The same accented characters appear. Using English (Au) keyboard. 

It should be possible to set a hold time duration to help avoid typing erroneous special or accented characters.

Also the Samsung keyboard needs a callibration option to help avoid typos

5 REPLIES 5
LiquidSnake
Big Cheese
Options
Try using the app Keys Cafe, which is a Good Lock module, ro modify these keyboard settings to your liking 😀. Download this through the Galaxy Store. Hope this helps! 🙂
0 Likes
Solution
AndrewL
Options

@Jay_Ro: What I'd suggest is heading to Settings > General management > Samsung Keyboard settings > Swipe, touch and feedback > Keyboard touch and hold delay, and set this to Long (0.5 seconds), or apply a custom option. This will increase the time it takes for a continuous touch to be recognised as a touch and hold interaction, and should resolve the current issues you're having. 

Jay_Ro
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for this suggestion.  I installed it and it did overcome the annoyance with accented characters but the "disco lights" keyboard was intolerable.  I also noticed the message that keystrokes could be recorded.  I'm not sure if that created security vulnerabilities so I uninstalled the product.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jay_Ro
Apprentice
Options

Thanks Andrew.  I lengthened the delay and that has been a significant improvement.  The accented character delay was fairly recent and I'm wondering if the previous delay was shortened via a update.

A suggestion for Samsung is that they implement a keyboard calibration mechanism as often the character to the right or left of the desired character is activated when typing resulting in lots of typographical errors.

Jensays
Journeyman
Options

Especially because I never had this issue with my S8.  It was fine right out of the box.  My S22 is requiring a lot of tweaking.

0 Likes