Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Dex Not starting on S22 Ultra Through cable

(Topic created on: 24-10-2022 06:09 PM)
Members_X8qO0jS
Student
Options

I just received my S22 Ultra and I have been experiencing a lot of issues with it. From ghost touches randomly, youtube video and audio issues, random reboots to choppy scrolling on web pages, this phone has it all :smiling-face:

But one important thing for me is that Samsung Dex is not starting when connected though Usb-c cable. When I toggle dex from the notification tray and select TV or monitor it does nothing and just searches for compatible devices. This is a feature I used extensively on my 2 year old S20 with the same setup. More specifically a Dell U2421E through a 90w Usb-c cable from Dell.

I spoke with support, they remote into the phone and checked some stuff and there is an open ticket to support about it. I just thought I would post it here in case others are experiencing the issue. And maybe it will be fixed faster. I just received the April 1 update wich I'd hoped would fix the issue but it didn't.

Btw, Dex is working through wireless, I have tested on my qled tv and also works through USB cable when using the dex app on PC. The mouse and keyboard that are connected to my Dell monitor function properly on my phone, it's just the video signal on the monitor and app not trigering on the phone.

8 REPLIES 8
Members_tSG29UD
First Poster
Options

Hi,

I am having the same issue via USB - C on my S22 Ultra, I have been using my note 9 for a few years now and was using dex on a Dell C2422HE more recently via USB - C.  The note 9 works fine, but with my S22 there is no display output but it detects my keyboard and mouse which I can use to interact with the phone. I have updated and still no luck.

Members_nsQetbP
Student
Options

Experiencing the same exact issue on my Samsung S22 Ultra with my Dell UltraSharp 24 USB-C Hub Monitor - U2421HE

Members_nsQetbP
Student
Options

The only way I could get Samsung Dex to work is by restarting the phone while connected with USB-C to the monitor hub (USB-C port). As soon as the phone turns back on, it initially mirrors the phone's screen, but as soon as I unlock it [enter security pin] it activates Samsung Dex and works flawlessly. The only issue is that I have to restart the phone each time I need to reconnect my device.

Brian D
First Poster
Options

I actually experienced a similar thing on my new s22 ultra when I connected it to a window 10 OS laptop. The laptop dex opens however the icons(apps) won't respond to the mouse cursor, when I move the mouse cursor the phone responds instead of the laptop dex, and things starts moving randomly on the phone. I went to the smart tutor application and called the Sumsang support team and they connected remotely. I showed them what was happening and they told me they had escalated the matter couple of months ago and they werenwaiting for a feedback. Is there anybody who has overcome this problem?

Kannan-B
Apprentice
Options

I also have the same problem with my S22 and DELL U2421E.

I have to connect and disconnect the monitor's USB-C cable on S22 side several times, or switch the monitor on and off several times.

I use the original USB-C cable which came with the monitor. I tried the USB Power on when monitor off and vice versa and the issue still persists. While using OneUI 4.x, the monitor used to connect 3rd or 4th time when I switch the monitor on and off and this was predictable. With OneUI 5.x it's random and not predictable.

I guess the only option I got is what "Members_nsQetbP" mentioned, restart the phone while the monitor is connected.

Kevin Aub
Student
Options

I've got the same problem too with my S22, connected via USB4 cable to Lenovo P40w-20, which is a 5k2k monitor that supports native 5120x2160 resolution. The phone start mirroring the screen fine at 1080 but then I can see random pixels flickering and the screen itself disconnects every 2-3 seconds and re-connects afterwards.

My M2 Macbook air works perfectly using the same cable (at native 5120x2160) so I'm guessing it's not the cable or the lack of bandwidth through the cable that's the problem.

Any help on this would be much appreciated

Kevin Aub
Student
Options

I found out that just after power cycling the monitor and the s22 and it all now seems to work fine. So strange! I hope this kinda helps others

0 Likes
rpangelov
First Poster
Options

As a long time iPhone user, i have very deep regrets buying Samsung device. 

I have S22 (exynos) and this device is a true garbage even if it was sold for the half of the money. Just assume this:

Face unlock is frustrating rather than helpful. It doesnt work half of the time and its even not secure. 

Fingerprint scanner works if you dont use screenprotector. Even if you buy compatible one, it wont work properly. So you must leave the screen for all the scratches. 

I got warning for device being too hot while it was just preparing an update...wtf ?

Batterylife is under the average - i dont use the device very actively and i must put it on charge early in the evening. 

Aside of that - i bought it to use Dex as i have setup which works perfectly with S10 device. S22 wont display anything wired...but the Snapdragon version will. 

Today i will send the device back. This type of inconsistency and providing a B product for big regions is a huge bummer. At least with an iPhone i dont have any "suprises" on the way while i try to achieve a simple task. I am really disappointed as my last Samsung was Note 4 and it was just as bad with side panel which got discolored after 2 weeks of use. I really wished the devices got better through all this years,but sadly, no. 

This is why Samsung will never be a proper concurrent of Apple for mobile devices. 

I hope Samsung doesnt receive it as harassment, but as a honest opinion from user which really wanted to switch to something different, but this type of things are only making me more convenient to buy Apple. 

0 Likes