Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S22 Ultra V Pro Mirrorless Comparison

(Topic created on: 14-05-2022 04:26 PM)
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
You often hear that smartphone cameras are so good now, they are nearly as good as a camera. 
Well I'm not sure that's totally true.
But I thought it would be fun to try out my S22 Ultra with my Panasonic Lumix S1 with my new Sigma 30mm 1.4 lens

Now this is only a bit of fun and not going to say the phone is as good as the camera.

The camera is a full on pro DSLR, with a full frame sensor. The sensor dwarfs the one in the phone.
But the phone relies on software to get the perfect image. 

Both devices I left in auto and in JPEG. So I can share the images easier.
I didn't edit any of the photos, other than slightly cropping to make both look similar.
I like to shoot in 3:2. But the phone doesn't have that option. Has 3:4 option.

Lumix S1

S22 Ultra

Both photos look good here, the S22 Ultra somewhat lighter. The phone has great detail, but on zooming in the camera naturally is a clearer image.

The phone camera is quite a wide angle and has that wide angle look to the photos. Picks out great details even in complex shots like below.

Lumix S1

S22 Ultra

I do like some of the colours the phone software produces, and pleased that they are more realistic than older Samsung phones I've had.
Otherwise the photo below would be way over saturated. 

Lumix S1

S22 Ultra

Although colours are richer, I think it gives it a great look to the photo. Again the Lumix S1 has a more realistic colour, if slightly more muted than real world looks on this occasion.

One of the interesting aspects is the Bokeh photos and just how close it can look.

Lumix S1

S22 Ultra

Really surprising how good the portrait mode is on the phone. Yes the Lumix S1 has a smoother looking Bokeh, but way to go with the S22 Ultra. It's a great look.
My only gripe with the portrait mode on the phone is you need to be further away sometimes for it to work. But a great result nevertheless. 

Lumix S1

S22 Ultra

Again if I could get closer, I'd prefer it.
But still I like the look.

Lumix S1

S22 Ultra

This is one of those occasions that seems like the software doesn't like the lighting conditions and it's got a bit too over exposed and upped the HDR.
Nothing a bit of editing can't fix.
Luckily the phone has some nice editing software. 

Screenshot
The wand icon on the bottom left is great to give you a suggestion and improve the image composition.

Screenshot
Then with a very quick bit of tweaking in edit, can improve things further 

S22 Ultra edited
With a bit more work you can set it up really well. 

I will leave a few more images. But really impressed how far smartphone cameras have got to and the S22 Ultra definitely feels like the best all round camera out there now.
Naturally shooting RAW with both, the camera will just capture far more detail. 
But as a point and shoot. It's definitely up there with the best.
Lumix S1

S22 Ultra

Lumix S1

S22 Ultra

Lumix S1

S22 Ultra

Again this was just a bit of fun and more of a curiosity to compare photos 

What are your thoughts?
11 REPLIES 11
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Cor they are really interested subjects. See all sorts of different things.
Just the sort of thing I'd like to find
0 Likes
xavierlh1
First Poster
Options

I'd love to see comparisons in more challenging situations.  The two of interest are moving objects at a distance (i.e. how do the telephoto and stabilization compare) where I suspect the DSLR would have a clear advantage, and shooting at night where the amazing automatic HDR processing of the phone may give it the upper hand.  Does anyone have experience with these situations? 

0 Likes