Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S22 ULTRA SPEAKER CRACKLING

(Topic created on: 25-03-2022 02:13 PM)
Sands820
Student
Options
Spoiler
Set up my new S22 Ultra today to only find out the speakers sounds absolutely horrendous!

When any sound is played through the speakers a loud distorted crackling noise over powers whatever it may be playing. Is anyone else having the same issue or know how to fix it?

Not what you expect from a top of the range phone!
83 REPLIES 83
Alex8982
First Poster
Options

Cold temperatures make the speakers crackle or distort. 

0 Likes
Alex8982
First Poster
Options

I'm on my 4th replacement phone from t mobile, alllll have the same speaker issue......Do not buy any s22's ppl.  

0 Likes
chanman23
First Poster
Options
  1. if you restart your phone it fixes it for me that worked have had it happen 2 times and it fixed it. its a hardware issue  im using s22 ultra 512 gb
0 Likes
SKD1
First Poster
Options

Seems like the issue is with entire S22 series. I noticed the issue when we went to higher altitudes. So basically it seems like an issue with low pressure.

Samsung needs to fix this. Too bad for 800+ phone.

Edit: This also happens if the phone is subjected to cold temperature like in front of car AC vent even at lower altitudes.

LisandroC
Apprentice
Options

Yes! Now it makes sense to me! Both times it happened when I was in an airplane! Also some people push in the screen and it fixes it, which seems to increase the pressure inside the phone. It seems to be due to low pressure!

0 Likes
Wwillis254
First Poster
Options

I started having similar issues with my phone within a few days of activation. For a couple of weeks I thought it was just the external speaker, but I realized last week it affects the earpiece speakers as well. This issue is intermittent, sometimes non-existent...sometimes noticeable...sometimes completely unbearable. When it is really bad, the crackling seems to be amplified and the actual sound reproduction is suppressed, a person talking on the phone sounds very distant and quiet. All this makes me hope it is a software problem that can be fixed with an update. I'm afraid if I send the phone in for a warranty repair or replacement, Samsung may deny the claim if the phone happens to have a "good day" when they try to run diagnostics. 

0 Likes
Aag12
Journeyman
Options

I think you may be onto something. I am on my 2nd phone and both have it. The 2nd phone isn't as bad, but the only time it comes up is when I go skiing. I drive up 5000 ft then where I live.

What I usually do to fix it is press really hard on the screen when music is playing and after doing this a few times the sound fixes itself 

0 Likes
Members_lKmM2Rt
First Poster
Options

I found that it is related to the sim card slot. I have 2 sims in the slot. It solves the issue after pulling out the Sim card slot and push it back. But the issue seems happen again after some time.

0 Likes
Members_DFWrRgO
Apprentice
Options

I have the same issues with my S22. Started after I come of the plane into the cold weather. It got better when phone warmed up but started crackling when outside in the cold again. Strangely enough I only just input 2nd SIM card yesterday. Will get a replacement but after reading all the comments I am not hopeful 2nd phone will be any better

0 Likes
Dearmoukas
Journeyman
Options

Whoa! This has been an absolute nightmare for me that still hasn't ended with Samsung as of today.  Same issue as described by most folks on this thread; my "brand new" Samsung Galaxy S22 (that I bought with a good chunk of change) speakers 'severely' distort in temperatures 50 degrees and below.  After reading the previous posts I'm beginning to understand it may be an issue of pressure with temperature?  I happen to live in Denver, Colorado... ya know 5280 ft City above see level... that ALSO stays cold the majority of the year! 🙄   But if I'm walking or riding my bike with the phone in my front pocket and it's been below 50 degrees (on average), it takes about 15 to 20 minutes for it to start distorting/cracking and eventually inaudible.  Which means I don't hear the ringer/text/notifications/music OR even Amber Alerts (which I found out the hard way) until I get back into a warm environment.  Then it takes about the same amount of time for it to normalize again.

I have since returned the phone to Samsung, from which I purchased from onsite... TWICE!😩  As a Poster pointed out before, Samsung denied any replacement or repair under the warranty (I bought it at the beginning of March🙄). 

The first return, they ran a standard test to find nothing wrong.  They returned it back to me with the same issues.  On a hunch; I experimented by putting it in my refrigerator  one time and then the freezer next, for about the same time it usually takes to distort when walking or on my bike.  And... Yep... came out with the distortions on each experiment.  So on the 2nd return, I put a note in suggesting to stick in a break room cooler or refrigerator 😋!  Just for them to demonstrate the issue in real time.  I don't think they really read the notes you include in the return😒?  On the second return, they didn't even run a diagnostic test apparently?  They just sent me an email today saying in part "(ticket #)...to be shipped back unrepaired." Maybe they did read the note and it made them PO??😋

Now an important last note for you folks out there; 

Initially when this started happening I went through Customer Service.  Longer story short... they had me do a hard reset twice.  Nothing!  Then sent me to a local authorized repair service "UBreakIFix", to get the S22 diagnosed and repaired on the spot.  Followed Samsung's advice and instructions.  Got on my bike with the phone.  It was 54 degrees that day.  Walked into the repair store with the Music still playing from the bike.  They got to witness the distortion right there and then.  They ran a diagnostic similar to Samsung repair and by the time that was finished, on top of servicing a couple more customers, the test ran clean... of course.  But two of the techs who observed the speaker distortion real-time as I brought it in, noted the speaker distortion they observed on the repair ticket.  They also added since the phone is a new model, they wouldn't have any parts currently to fix it anyway and that the phone should be replaced.  I included a copy of the repair ticket from the vendor Samsung sent me to, in both returns!  Looks like SOL until Samsung acknowledges the vast flaw in the design and offers a fix??  Also doesn't look like I'm gonna get a solution or replacement from them anytime soon.  My luck, they will wait until the warranty is expired🙄?!  In the meantime, my phone is no good to me in Colorado until... maaaybe... after the last frost in the 2nd week of May?????  I also bought their new Galaxy Tab-S8.  Haven't really had a reason to take it outside yet.  BUT... well ya know?!  I'm afraid to find out what it's speakers do?!  Dang! I just realized I might have sunk some bucks into lemons??!!  They say to wait and get new models after the ticks are worked out.  What was I thinking?!