Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S22 Ultra Snapdragon Compatibility in UK

(Topic created on: 22-03-2022 05:39 PM)
Members_vm5zkYT
First Poster
Options

Please can you advise on the compatibility of a S22 Ultra imported either from the US or from China (i.e. Honk Kong) in the UK? Would the 5G, Samsung Pay, Samsung Keyboard etc. all work? Your detail is much appreciated. Separately, is it likely that software updates to a locally available S22 Ultra Exynos would level the performance differences?

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
They have different software updates and therefore you should not expect similar updates to the Exynos version. As for compatibility, all should work the same, however some bands may not be supported depending on network used so you'll need to check that specifically.

In regard to actual performance, unless you're playing very specific games and even then using some kind of frame rate counter, it's very unlikely you'll notice any difference.
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
One thing for sure is 5G on US devices is not compatible with UK networks.
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Members_vm5zkYT 

If your going to import a phone then get one from Hong Kong as these work better on the UK network.

I used Wonda mobile to import a Samsung Note ²⁰ Ultra.

The caveats on importing can be.....

• Samsung UK won't provide support for an imported phone. But Wonda Mobile apply a 12 month warranty.
  • Your Samsung Members App Benefits Section will be blank.
  • Samsung Pay may not work but Google Pay does.
  • 5G may work.
  • The keyboard will be laid out a little differently but is still very close to the Samsung Keyboard,  however there are other options such as gBoard and SwiftKey.
  • Certain plug in modules from Samsung Goodlock may not work ( if you use Goodlock that is )
  • Software Updates came through fine.
  • Security Updates came through fine.

I owned both the Exynos and SnapDragon SoC version of the Samsung Note ²⁰ Ultra and found the SnapDragon was better optimised so battery was better. Approximately an hour better.

Everything else felt the same.

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

Stufftard
First Poster
Options

Is this the case for all UK Sims? I currently use giffgaff and I'm getting an s22 ultra (US version) as a gift. I've tried searching everywhere online but can't figure if the 5g will or will not work for sure in the UK. If it won't work for sure then I won't open the box and rather just sell it to someone else who doesn't care about 5g. But if it does work I'll obviously keep it. Any info? 

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
It's the device that's the issue as the 5G network in the US uses different frequencies to Europe and is unable to recognise them.
Hope that helps.
0 Likes
Reg Danny
Explorer
Options

Have you watch any comparison videos on YouTube? There is clearly a difference everybody can easily notice. In my opinion Samsung are con artist and should advertise the exynos version and snapdragon as different phone... Because they are completely different!!

Everything on the snapdragon version works better. Exports videos twice as quick, opens apps quicker, stutters less, clearer and sharper photo images, better battery life. It is infuriating that Samsung get away with this.

Joeeye
Maestro
Options
No need, I run both and this is my experience.
0 Likes
Johnna
First Poster
Options
How do I get software updates do you have download them from chi a or do uk updates work
0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Johnna 

My phone recieved software updates just fine that was imported from Hong Kong. 

They'll be sent from the region of origin.

So from Hong Kongs Samsungs Servers.

You can't choose between regions unfortunately.

Mine were either faster or just behind updates sent out to UK region phone's.

I hope that helps.

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes