Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S22 Ultra poor audio quality

(Topic created on: 23-02-2022 11:14 AM)
MickeyMoo
Journeyman
Options
Hi everyone, had my new S22 Ultra 512g now for a couple of days.  Very impressed indeed but I am really concerned about the audio quality.  With or without Dolby Atmos the audio is so tinny and weak, just no depth to it at all and pretty much zero base. Not what I expected from a flagship phone.  Quite embarrassing to be honest.  Any advice? 
192 REPLIES 192
Bartex_s22
Apprentice
Options

LDAC's are available in Android's phones since long. My Huawei P20 pro was supporting LDAC and it is easy to say for me this phone had the best audio uality I have ever heard on a phone. As soon as I got my S22 ultra, I was very disappointed. P20 pro was able to let me increase my volume up to 90 or maybe even 95% if I remember correctly, without any sound quality loss. That means that all tones were increased evenly, and the bass at 95% was deep and clear as if I listened to a high quality sound system. S22 Ultra on the other hand, icreases bass only up to 60% volume (safe limit) which is very quiet. If I start to increase volume above 60%, the sound gets so messed up, that I have literally never heard anything worse. I use Sony WF-1000-XM4 headphones so they are top notch quality, but Samsung makes the sound so terrible, that I literally heard better quality back in 2010. This is so disappointing that I am considering going back to a P20 pro as sound quality is the 1st thing I consider when buying a phone.

The_Chemist
Voyager
Options

@Bartex_s22 Yes, same experience here and I can't find a way around it. 

Tried developer mode, but it refuses to change codecs. 

We're pretty much screwed. 

0 Likes
Trey97
Apprentice
Options

The bass @60% is the exact issue that makes it worse. I have a subwoofer in my car and makes it very noticeable because my sub is loudest at 60% and get a little lower and distorted from there. I've just been getting use to it and letting myself forget what my old phone sound like. I asked my homie who got the same new phone from a s9 and he says he doesn't notice a difference... I wish I could say the same 😮💨

The_Chemist
Voyager
Options

@Bartex_s22 Very well said!  

0 Likes
The_Chemist
Voyager
Options

@Trey97 I know exactly what you mean. 

The S22 Ultra ruins a good audio system. It makes it sound like a shirt-pocket radio. No bass whatsoever!  And mids are squawky. 

0 Likes
LilyS22
Journeyman
Options

Did you end up returning your phone? I’ve had mine for 6 days only and the call quality is very low and muffled.

0 Likes
LilyS22
Journeyman
Options

I got the same today from Samsung over the phone. Won’t admit that they are aware of the problem but told to return if not happy.

0 Likes
Jdnels
Apprentice
Options

I am also a Samsung person from near the beginning. S2 and every other model since then. Every even Note model too and all of the watches. But I have to say I'm probably done with Samsung altogether. I think the phones are getting worse as are the watches (if you mentally normalized them for age). the actual operation of the devices has gotten worse. The sound is terrible on the s22ultra. The equalizer is junk. It also doesn't keep the highest bass setting. If you slide the last bar on the left all the way up, and leave the equalizer, the actual bass sound will not stay at that level. Very noticeable on a high end sound system. I've tested this with decimeters as well. This phone has other serious issues with navigating mesh networks. It sticks and searches when it shouldn't, no matter what settings you use. They always blame the network though. I've tried 7 different networks, it's an issue, trust me. The overall audio is terrible through Android Auto USB as well. Apps that have a dedicated equalizer do sound much better, like Amazon music. If you use Spotify, you are screwed because it uses the phones EQ. I don't know what phone i will get next year, but I'm leaving Samsung for good. I'm tired of spending $1400 for phones I get frustrated with.  Maybe Pixel... 

0 Likes
Nelsky
Student
Options

oh not just me then.... every concert gets ruined as soon as the loud music starts. What's the point in amazing video quality if the sounds muffled or none existent. Sad 😞

0 Likes
GeminiJanet
Voyager
Options

Welcome to S22 Ultra world of zero quality sound

0 Likes