Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S22 Ultra performance so far

(Topic created on: 24-04-2022 07:14 PM)
Amonicus
Explorer
Options
I bought the phone at the start of March during the release date window to get the buds+ promotion. I came to this phone from the s10+, so naturally, I have been expecting quite a bit jump across the board in terms of speed, responsiveness, battery life camera etc. 

After almost 2 months of use, what has become clear as day is that everything about this device heavily depends on the software update you are on. On the release software, had a couple of issues, device was quite slow but that was to be expected and battery was awful, my s10+ did the same. However, where my s10+ fixed its battery in the span of the first 1-2 weeks of usage and was comfortably a 2 day phone for me, the s22 ultra did not. I take care of my battery and only charge it to 60%, and while the s10+ would get me through the whole day and have 10-20% left when i come home, the s22 ultra does not make it in any way. If anything, the s22 ultra battery life for me resembles my s10+ battery life after 3 years, right before the switch, after the battery had degraded considerably. 

The second update improved things greatly, device finally felt more like it should (after the whole game optimising service fiasco) and although the battery was still not what i hoped for, it did improve a bit. Still not quite there overall, but definitely an improvement all around.

3rd update just completely reverted the device back to release status, extremely stuttery, dropping frames left and right and after the 4th update, not much has changed. 

I am therefore curious how everyone else's experience is, particularly to battery life, because I intend to escalate my ticket and get some sort of answers. In my opinion, it is quite unacceptable for a phone this expensive to stutter, drop frames and have poor battery, especially since the s21 ultra had none of those issues or at the very least, not nearly in the same manner. 
11 REPLIES 11
Glenntech
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
What things have you tried to remedy the issue
Sometimes third party themes and launchers can have profound affects on the phone.
Have you tried to clear the Partition Cache on the phone?
This can remedy a few issues, as it clears out temporary data that gets corrupted.
Using dark mode will help a bit as will putting apps not used to sleep or deleting them.
Things like Facebook are resource hogs and running in the background consume power all the time
Consider adjusting app settings or deleting the app and using a Web based shortcut instead
Regularly restarting the phone is an great way to keep the phone clear of junk cookies etc to help with optimisation
My S22 Ultra is working great and I am getting great battery life.
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @Amonicus 

Thank you for your insight. 👍

I came from using the Samsung Fold ³ as my daily driver to the Samsung Galaxy s²² Ultra 256Gb in Phantom Black.

My preference is different from you as I charge to 100%.

There is a battery protect setting that allows the battery to charge to 80%.

Battery Usage stats and screen on time is a subjective topic as we all set up our phone's differently,  use different phone settings and features and use different apps, themes etc and of course our usage habits are different.

I'm not a gamer.

My phone is charged up overnight while turned Off and then powered On at 5am and is used the way I use it until 9pm when I power off. Typically I have around 40% approximately left.

My phone is on the 3rd April update that Samsung sent out.

This phone is unbranded i.e supplied directly by Samsung UK and is an Exynos variants.

I prefer not to turn off most features and use Dark Mode with a handful of apps in sleep and deep.sleep mode.

I do not use themes or icon packs or a 3rd party launcher such as Nova Prime.

Or use Samsung Goodlock.

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
Amonicus
Explorer
Options
Did cache partition clear multiple times at different points in the usage.
Factory reset the phone once, no change
30 mins on a train, browsing news articles, listening to music, then 30 min idling, 40% battery gone
Regular restarts doing them now
No third party launchers or anything
0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

What I've found is that a Samsung battery can quickly deplete from full to around 80% and then stabilises.

Can you use your phone as normal and then when it's on low battery screenshot the battery section in your Device Care section also using the scroll capture option to grab all the apps and include the top status bar of your phone please.

0 Likes
Amonicus
Explorer
Options
I can do that the next day sure, it just doesn't make sense that a 3 year old s10+ also getting charged to 60% has the same battery as the s22 ultra charged to 60%, but sure I'll grab a screenshot
ruuvvi
Navigator
Options

After third (or fourth, can't count those anymore) update couple of days ago, my phones battery life extended even more and is now in very good level. I usually charge my phone every evening to 100% and now after last night charge I'm still having 67% battery left so I can use it well over 2 days on one charge (in my normal use).

Amonicus
Explorer
Options
Ok so i got a result but not the one I would have wanted. I did 2 full charges, one on the high processing speed and the other one on optimised. The optimised 1 was more in line with what i expect in terms of battery.

The only problem is, the optimised one makes the phone stutter and frame drop even more. Like this is very choppy, where the high processing mode was choppy sometimes, it was still faster but this just doesn't feel good.

Any advice?
0 Likes
Amonicus
Explorer
Options
Here you goScreenshot_20220426-191125_Device care.jpg
0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Thank you @Amonicus 

So what I take from your screenshot is....

Quite weak signal.

Google Chrome is a resource hungry browser which you can see by the amount of % it's using.

Obviously you like YouTube  😁

0 Likes