Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S22 ultra now closes maps during phone calls

(Topic created on: 26-01-2023 09:14 PM)
jinx81
Journeyman
Options
I recently upgraded to this phone from the s20 ultra, ever since if i use google maps and get a phone call then maps not only closes itself but also cancels my navigation. It IS set to allow running in the background so its not that. On my old phone maps just reduced in size then flicked back on after the call finished, now even if i try and open maps again the phone screen flicks back up, since i live in the uk and it is fully illegal here to even touch your phone while driving this is seriously unsafe, it wouldn't be so bad if it was one button but i have to open maps retype my destination and start all over again which means i have to come off the motorway find somewhere to park every single time i get a call, sure there is a way to display maps over other apps? That option seems to be missing from this new s22 ultra but is still on the s20? 
0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
ihatesamung
Apprentice
Options

seems anything after the s20 is just *****. i also have the ultra and just upgraded ima about to go right back.

0 Likes
jinx81
Journeyman
Options
I feel the same tbh
ihatesamung
Apprentice
Options

i got the new flip one and it has half the battery life and also forces updates on you. anything after the 20 series is complete garbage . sorry for not helping with your issue lol i dont think there is much we can do with their new system

0 Likes
MickJG
Explorer
Options

This doesnt happen like you describe on my S22Ultra.

Yes answering a phone call does stop (annoyingly) Maps running picture in picture, but it doesnt stop Maps navigating in the background and is still very easy to pop back up while in a call using the recent apps button.

A work around if you like is to only allow the call window to pop up minimized and stay that way, its found in the call settings: 

Keep calls in pop up.Keep calls in pop up.

0 Likes
jinx81
Journeyman
Options
Mine wont if i try making it pop back up the phone screen overides it and comes back on then soon as the call ends the navigation stops, its a little frustrating it doesnt even minimise anymore x
0 Likes
Shanw
First Poster
Options

I hate this too. I'm in the states, so not 100% sure if this will work across the pond or not. I have found out that if I rotate my phone back to portrait before answering it will show both at the same time. Yes, its frustrating however it is a work around. Maps is odd looking in portrait viewing, however you can still see your directions. 

0 Likes