Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S22 Ultra display brightness

(Topic created on: 27-02-2022 03:53 PM)
Jubei
Explorer
Options
I have noticed that the display brightness when watching content does not get as bright as my s21 ultra (from my comparison its about 60% of the later). I initially thought it was a defective unit having replicated the same settings but a goggle search shows I am not the only one see below link

I hope there will be a software update soon as HDR content on Youtube, Netflix is not as bright and I am struggling to see some scenes as clearly.
14 REPLIES 14
Jubei
Explorer
Options
Hmm! Is that the official YouTube app? Try sliding down on the right side of your screen in the app . (Worth a check I do the same on vanced )
0 Likes
Tomivor
Apprentice
Options

Hi, got the same issue of flickering bright and dim. 

https://youtu.be/gpJzNHdhSIE

https://youtube.com/shorts/Y4Yxn6HkrEs?feature=share

Mxracer6y
Apprentice
Options

Still no fix for this 4 months later?? I just got my s22 ultra in the mail a few days ago.... So disappointed with it and this was the final straw. Pictures are worse in many ways, audio is not nearly as loud as my s21, the microphone is terrible, and on top of it I was excited to have the extra brightness for HDR videos and when I first opened an HDR video I was shocked... It wasn't nearly as bright or vibrant as my s21. I had them side by side. Whites look yellow, and everything is dim compared to s21 ultra.

The strange thing though is that if you watch a non-hdr video, it's clearly brighter. It's only in HDR that brightness does nothing. And yes, I have extra brightness turned on, and adaptive lighting off.

This phone is worse in nearly every single catagory compared to the s21 ultra. Idk what in the world happened at Samsung. I'm also starting to believe all the reviews videos on YouTube are bought and paid for because there's no way those people were honest, as ANY ONE who puts these phones side by side would come to the conclusion that the s21 is better.

I spent an hour+ on the phone with Samsung tech support trying to fix my blurry over processed photos, that when compared to s21 were absolutely awful particularly anything at 10x and over. The more you zoom in the more it becomes noticeably bad. Colors look wonderful sure, but not at the cost of clear sharp detail.

I wanted to like this phone SOOO bad, but I am terribly disappointed. I am also pretty sure most of the issues I've described are software issues (except for microphone and sound.. but maybe?) As photos look great for that second or two after snapped until they are processed by software and then they look like *****. The HDR issue is also clearly software as the screen is much brighter in every other way EXCEPT for HDR. 

My major concern here is that it's been almost 6 months since this phone has been released and knowing all of these problems have existed since day 1 and still not fixed.

I only have 14 days to send the phone back and am not taking any chances hoping these issues will be corrected when we're 6 months in and still nothing. These are basic issues that should have been fixed within the first month of release, so this is a major red flag to me

Majorly disappointed.

0 Likes
MikeJohnson
First Poster
Options

Hi im in the same boat. The brightness is terrible. Even with everything turned up, adaptive turned off, power saving mode off the screen is dim. Probably because these phones keep over heating so they are throttling the brightness on them lol. My s21 ultra used to constantly overheat doing sinple tasks like video calling. I doubt theres anything that can be done tbh.

0 Likes
Kyle M
First Poster
Options

Still no response from Samsung?  Cant watch any streamed content on this phone with the brightness settings being auto-dimmed to the point where you can't see anything in dark/average scenes.

To confirm: extra and adaptive brightness options are red herrings.  The brightness on the device itself outside of video content is fine; the software is messing with video playback brightness and needs to be fixed.

0 Likes