Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S22 Ultra display brightness

(Topic created on: 11-03-2022 09:53 PM)
Jubei
Explorer
Options
I have noticed that the display brightness when watching content does not get as bright as my s21 ultra (from my comparison its about 60% of the later). I initially thought it was a defective unit having replicated the same settings but a goggle search shows I am not the only one see below link

I hope there will be a software update soon as HDR content on Youtube, Netflix is not as bright and I am struggling to see some scenes as clearly.
14 REPLIES 14
AndrewL
Options

@Jubei: Can you try heading to Settings > Display > Extra Brightness (On) > Adaptive Brightness (Off), to see if you notice an improvement? 

0 Likes
Jubei
Explorer
Options
Hi, I did that as well it's still the same. It's like there is an artificial cap on the video brightness. P.s. on the basic ui and stuff the s22 ultra is definately brighter than the s21 ultra just not on videos
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
I haven't seen this behaviour myself on my units. My S22 Ultra when using extra brightness is considerably brighter playing videos. Disabled they look pretty much the same.
0 Likes
Jubei
Explorer
Options
Thanks @Joeeye. I belive this youtube video visualises exact complaint.

https://youtu.be/MpkhKrI_0Mc?t=269
0 Likes
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
I see the problem, he's using adaptive brightness. I've never used that on any of my phones in the last 10 years, so I guess I never experience this issue.

I imagine it's a simple adjustment in software, but using a fixed brightness setting, you'll clearly see the S22 Ultra is much brighter.
0 Likes
Jubei
Explorer
Options
I do have adaptive brightness off and extra brightness toggled on! However it makes no difference in videos. If you do have an s21 ultra to hand you can run the comparison yourself. Funny thing is if you take a screen shot of the said video and view them side by side the s22 ultra image would be brighter. Hence I feel there is a cap somewhere in software
Joeeye
Maestro
Options
I do and I have. The S22 Ultra is clearly brighter in YouTube HDR videos than my S21 Ultra. It's also brighter when running the same videos in MX Player.
0 Likes
Members_w6pEnH3
First Poster
Options

I have the same issue, I have an Exynoss S22 Ultra and an S21 Ultra here, and the S21 is much, much brighter in any use case. Pictures, Ui all have a significantly lower brightness on the new device.

And than the brightness gets really super super low on the S22 Ultra when playing Video Content, especially with HDR. It gets so dark that you almost can't see anything in dark scenes - for example in the Witcher Series on Netflix. On YouTube it's the same.

The settings are manual Brightness with extra Brightness to the max, and yet it's almost pitch black. 

The S21 Ultra meanwhile works fantasticly well with true HDR, Details in the Shadows and the Highlights, and really nice popping details.

I hope and think this is a software problem and can soon be fixed by Samsung. After all it's really embarrassing to not even be able to watch Netflix on a flagship device.

0 Likes
Members_tAM6twF
First Poster
Options

I got another problem. When playing hdr Videos in youtube, the brightness gets automatically to its maximum level. I can't dim the display anymore as it says the brightness is controlled by the app. Any suggestions how to circumvent that?