Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

S22 Google accounts selective sync not an option after October update

(Topic created on: 20-11-2022 08:26 PM)
christoforos86
Apprentice
Options

Hello,

after the monthly update of my S22 in October (it was a fairly big one), I noticed that I was not able to select anymore which elements of my google accounts are synced with my phone (email, calendar, contacts etc.).

I thought it might be a google related change with android but I spoke with friends who have phones with native android (no One UI or other manufacturer specific layer on top of android) and they advised that selective sync is still available for android 13. For reference, I am attaching a screenshot from the sync settings of my S22 and a native Android phone.

Samsung S22 after October update:

S22 after October 2022 updateS22 after October 2022 update

Native android phone with Android 13 (as my S22).

Native android phone with android 13Native android phone with android 13

Has anyone else noticed that?

Was that Samsung's intention and if yes, why?

Selective sync is very handy if you have multiple accounts and you don't want for example the calendar to be syncing from all of them.

Or was it accidentally done and will be fixed with an upcoming update?

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
Neo001
Legend
Options

Hi,

I have S22 plus. In Settings > Accounts and backup > Google drive > Back up data > Google account data, I still see the options to de/select options individually. If i access sync Settings via Settings > Accounts and backup > Manage accounts > gmail email id > Sync account. 

So does not seem like a Samsung /One UI 5 issue.

Screenshot_20221120_211901_Settings.jpg

christoforos86
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for the quick reply,

you mentioned you have S22 plus but I suspect the software updates do not happen in very different timeframes: have you done the phone software updates from the 1st of October already?

You probably have but thought I confirm that,

Thanks again for checking and replying.

0 Likes
Neo001
Legend
Options

Hi, Yes, I have upgraded to Android 13 /One UI 5 on Oct 24 ( i think). And recently ( last week) Nov security update was also applied.

0 Likes
Solution
christoforos86
Apprentice
Options

Thanks again @Neo001 for the reply.

After a bit of digging, found what happened:

- in my primary google account, in the settings area of my Gmail (not the accounts area), at the very bottom (Data Usage area), there is a "Sync now" option which was deactivated (previously my emails and other categories I wanted were updating automatically) with the October 2022 update (I believe Android 13)

-after selecting that option, then selective sync does become in the accounts area both for my primary account as well as the other google accounts syncing with my phone

- after selecting the "Sync now" option in the Gmail settings, it changes to "Sync Gmail" for all my accounts

I guess the feedback to the Samsung/Google Developers is that the option for this setting should be checked before the update and set to the same value with/after  the update to android 13.