Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My s22 ultra camera prefers digital zoom to optical

(Topic created on: 27-06-2022 03:39 PM)
Members_8GAtBmV
First Poster
Options

I would like to have the option to give priority to optical zoom in the normal camera mode, since when i am trying to zoom-in in an object to take a picture, a lot of the times the phone will use digital zoom instead of optical, making so that the photo comes out blurry and noisy.

3 REPLIES 3
Tina2009
Navigator
Options
I agree wholeheartedly. I have the S21ultra and have exactly the same problem. I also had the S8 which had a far better camera. As nothing has been done about the S21 ultra, I hope you will have better luck. I have lost all hope of a solution for mine. It is the worst camera by far. I am done with Samsung. I already had the camera module replaced and this is the ***** pictures I get. I am also really angry PSX_20220627_162936_4502_1656344574.jpg
Babishko
Hotshot
Options
Yes guys many people feel the same as you in that Samsung needs to adopt a sliding variable optical zoom system in it's phones to give it a pure zoom system void of any digital zoom input. On my S21 Ultra I take pictures at the magnification of my two zoom lenses (x3 and x10 as on your phones) but never in between as the resulting picture is poor. I prefer to crop in on my x3 or x10 pictures should I want to frame something or whatever but even this is not ideal.
Variable optical zoom is where quality stand alone cameras have the edge over most mobile phone cameras at the moment. I think the new Sony Xperia 1 IV has some form of variable optical zoom built in?, which means Samsung will need to rise to the challenge and develop such a system itself soon enough. Until it does guys I would avoid any manual zooming in on your phones and just use your x3 and x10 presets and crop in as gently as you can on the resulting images. Try cropping in on 108MP images too as I have been doing recently as this can give good results. Good luck to you both. 👍 👍
GusB
Big Cheese
Options
As below, try and stick to changing the lens rather than zooming for best quality. If you zoom in to 9.9x for example, it will be considerably worse than just selecting the 10x optical. It's of course digital zoom in between each lens.